Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Buccos vs Sox today
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

TheShark wrote:
Willton wrote:
If you're basing that on your view of Gameday, then you've likely been misled. Gameday does not track each and every pitch during spring training; it only covers results. As a result, every strikeout looks like a 3-pitch strikeout; every walk looks like a 4-pitch walk; and every batted ball in play looks as if the batter swung on the first pitch.

Not true. If you switch the option right under the Gameday screen with the silhouette of the batter from the default "Play-by-play" setting to "Pitch by pitch", it tracks every pitches and correctly identifies the pitch location and strikes/balls (granted, given that it is Spring Training, it does tend to lag and isn't always particularly timely and sharp, but it's there nonetheless). Likewise you can click on the archived AB after it takes place and it will show the pitches, i.e. click on "McCutchen lines out to left fielder" and it will show the pitches in the AB.

I had the At Bat app open on my phone and it appeared to work the way Willton described it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:16 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
So, Tabata keeps on hitting while Snider keeps on K'ing. Three weeks of camp left, its getting interesting.

He K'ed a couple times today, but Snider is still having the best spring of any Pirates regular after Tabata. I look at it more like they are both performing well rather than Tabata looking that much better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
So, Tabata keeps on hitting while Snider keeps on K'ing. Three weeks of camp left, its getting interesting.

He K'ed a couple times today, but Snider is still having the best spring of any Pirates regular after Tabata. I look at it more like they are both performing well rather than Tabata looking that much better.

He has K'd 8 times in 16 atbats, that ain't good. Given its ST and it barely matters, but Tabata is making his case in a battle that will be settled in the regular season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:30 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
I take it back, they probably are looking at 1 spot. The Sox also have Sweeney and Overbay in camp, Drew Sutton too. Not sure why they think our sucktastic bench castoffs are a good idea.

They were 69-93 last year. Pirate castoffs are an improvement for them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:13 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
I take it back, they probably are looking at 1 spot. The Sox also have Sweeney and Overbay in camp, Drew Sutton too. Not sure why they think our sucktastic bench castoffs are a good idea.

That had to be fun to type, this year it will be the Yankees. If Cano is really on his way to a suspension they are in big trouble without Tex, Grandy, and Arod already in that tough division.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:16 am 

This could be Toronto's year. I'm looking forward to watching the Yankees struggle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:54 am 

Ralphie wrote:
This could be Toronto's year. I'm looking forward to watching the Yankees struggle.

We're all looking forward to watching the Yankees' expected travails.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

This had better be Toronto's year after the moves that they just made!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:19 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

That had to be fun to type, this year it will be the Yankees. If Cano is really on his way to a suspension they are in big trouble without Tex, Grandy, and Arod already in that tough division.

You can't imagine how much fun it was to type that :D

The Yankees have taken on a tough job, trying to reduce payroll on a team full of old players. They're going to need to step it up in the draft department if they're going to stay in contention.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:59 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

You can't imagine how much fun it was to type that :D

The Yankees have taken on a tough job, trying to reduce payroll on a team full of old players. They're going to need to step it up in the draft department if they're going to stay in contention.

The Yankees have actually been pretty good at drafting. Their problem has been that they rarely keep their draft prospects, and lately the one's that they do keep have not lived up to their promise (e.g., Phil Hughes).