Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm curious
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:53 pm 

Anyone else find this particular piece to be more than a tad ironic?: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacev ... z2Ja6G3Cza

Post subject: Re: I'm curious
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:06 pm 

I guess the irony isn't terribly apparent to me. Please explain.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:57 pm 

I find it hard to believe that 70% of the people on the planet watched the Olympics. Count me in the 30%.

I also don't care to watch soccer, or racing of any kind, regardless of how many billions of people are watching it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:09 pm 

Now we're discussing DK columns that have nothing to do with baseball?

Obsess much?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

That's the first DK piece I ever read in its entirety. And, I think it raises some good points. I guess I'm missing the irony, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:33 pm 

Yeah, I thought this one was pretty good. Soccer is way more popular worldwide than American football or baseball ever will be.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 pm 

DK has no shortage of civic pride and his writing quite often is filled with pro-Pittsburgh hyperbole. I find it interesting that he finds the pro-Super Bowl hyperbole by American media members to be irritating. Why wouldn't the American media be promoting the Super Bowl as the biggest sporting event in the world? No different than a member of the Pittsburgh media promoting all things Pittsburgh . . .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:52 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
DK has no shortage of civic pride and his writing quite often is filled with pro-Pittsburgh hyperbole. I find it interesting that he finds the pro-Super Bowl hyperbole by American media members to be irritating. Why wouldn't the American media be promoting the Super Bowl as the biggest sporting event in the world? No different than a member of the Pittsburgh media promoting all things Pittsburgh . . .

Ah, I see now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 pm 

That article by DK simply points out that on the World Stage, the Super Bowl is not as grand as it is here in the United States.

I think we all realize that. However, it sill is a big event. Ironic? I'm not so sure I would use that word to describe his article...not unless I'm missing something... :? :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:28 am 
 WWW  Profile

Hey No.9 - this might help

i·ron·ic
[ahy-ron-ik] Show IPA
adjective
1.using words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning; containing or exemplifying irony: an ironic novel; an ironic remark.
2.of, pertaining to, or tending to use irony or mockery; ironical.
3.coincidental; unexpected: It was ironic that I was seated next to my ex-husband at the dinner.
Origin:1620–30; < Late Latin īrōnicus < Greek eirōnikós dissembling, insincere. See irony, -ic

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:19 am 

So does this make Ray Lewis the Super Bowl's Hoka Hey?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:10 pm 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:
Hey No.9 - this might help

i·ron·ic
[ahy-ron-ik] Show IPA
adjective
1.using words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning; containing or exemplifying irony: an ironic novel; an ironic remark.
2.of, pertaining to, or tending to use irony or mockery; ironical.
3.coincidental; unexpected: It was ironic that I was seated next to my ex-husband at the dinner.
Origin:1620–30; < Late Latin īrōnicus < Greek eirōnikós dissembling, insincere. See irony, -ic

Yep. Unexpected . . .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:13 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Obsess much?

Wait, you're calling someone else obsessive regarding DK? No offense but I have actually wondered if you actually are DK in disguise before the way you fire off multi-paragraph posts like clockwork coming to his defense any time an opinion of his is questioned by someone here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am 

TheShark wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Obsess much?

Wait, you're calling someone else obsessive regarding DK? No offense but I have actually wondered if you actually are DK in disguise before the way you fire off multi-paragraph posts like clockwork coming to his defense any time an opinion of his is questioned by someone here.

I've discussed his baseball columns on here, usually in threads that I have not started. I certainly haven't posted non-baseball articles on the Pirates message board. You don't see a difference there?

I discuss Pirates baseball. When DK writes about and people here discuss it, I'll chime in. But this thread has NOTHING TO DO with Pirates baseball. Hence, it's "DK obsession" that start this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am 

No. 9 wrote:

There's a difference between civic pride and simple facts about viewership of the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:52 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

There's a difference between civic pride and simple facts about viewership of the Super Bowl.

I invite you to read some of his rantings when someone refers to Pittsburgh as being a small market baseball team. Or his dismissiveness of other cities.

I actually have no problem with having pride in where you live. I happen to have been born in and currently live in a state which is usually the butt of late night comedians' jokes. I have an immense amount of pride when it comes to what Iowa has to offer and about the people (at least those who live in the eastern 2/3rds of the state; the western 1/3 . . . they're a little on the loony side!) who live here.

DK views Pittsburgh as a panacea and he's not afraid to climb to the mountaintop and share those thoughts - even when it is blatant "homerism." Not surprising coming from a Pittsburgh native writing for a Pittsburgh newspaper. I'd expect the same from a New Yorker or someone from Cincinnati. But . . . to be annoyed when the same type of "homerism" is expressed by national writers? Bleh . . .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
TheShark wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Obsess much?

I've discussed his baseball columns on here, usually in threads that I have not started. I certainly haven't posted non-baseball articles on the Pirates message board. You don't see a difference there?

I discuss Pirates baseball. When DK writes about and people here discuss it, I'll chime in. But this thread has NOTHING TO DO with Pirates baseball. Hence, it's "DK obsession" that start this thread.

My commentary is certainly related to his rantings when anyone refers to Pittsburgh as a small market baseball town. Its been a topic of many posts here over the years as well as the topic of whether his writings about Pittsburgh sports lacks a certain objectivity. If he wants to demand objectivity and accuracy from the national media, then . . . well . . . what do they say about those who live in glass houses?

Sorry if I offended your sensitivities by offering an observation about your favorite columnist. However, last I checked, that's one of the main purposes of a Message Board.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that your "Ronnie Cedeno sucks" and "Draft Anthony Rendon" posts outnumber - by a long shot - any commentary that I've offered on DK. Put that in your OCD pipe and smoke it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I invite you to read some of his rantings when someone refers to Pittsburgh as being a small market baseball team. Or his dismissiveness of other cities.

I've read those. He uses FACTS about market size and compares Pittsburgh to Cincy and St. Louis and Cleveland. Please explain how he is "dismissive" of other cites. Accusations unsupported by facts do not impress me.

No. 9 wrote:
I actually have no problem with having pride in where you live. I happen to have been born in and currently live in a state which is usually the butt of late night comedians' jokes. I have an immense amount of pride when it comes to what Iowa has to offer and about the people (at least those who live in the eastern 2/3rds of the state; the western 1/3 . . . they're a little on the loony side!) who live here.

Good for you.

No. 9 wrote:
DK views Pittsburgh as a panacea and he's not afraid to climb to the mountaintop and share those thoughts - even when it is blatant "homerism." Not surprising coming from a Pittsburgh native writing for a Pittsburgh newspaper. I'd expect the same from a New Yorker or someone from Cincinnati. But . . . to be annoyed when the same type of "homerism" is expressed by national writers? Bleh . . .

DK is absolutely honest and up front about his "homerism" and love of Pittsburgh. In fact, when he describes Pittsburgh he explains the subjectivity of his views. That stands in stark contrast to NFL personnel describing the Super Bowl as "the biggest event in sports" -- that is a statement presented as an objective fact. And it happens to be incorrect.

If you don't see the difference, then you're not paying attention. Perhaps your blind dislike for DK prevents YOU from being objective...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:16 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
My commentary is certainly related to his rantings when anyone refers to Pittsburgh as a small market baseball town. Its been a topic of many posts here over the years as well as the topic of whether his writings about Pittsburgh sports lacks a certain objectivity. If he wants to demand objectivity and accuracy from the national media, then . . . well . . . what do they say about those who live in glass houses?

Read your thread title and first post in this thread. You make no mention of articles regarding Pittsburgh being a small market town or ANYTHING related to baseball. Instead, you post a link to an article that has nothing to do with baseball. I have no idea why it's still even in this forum.

No. 9 wrote:
Sorry if I offended your sensitivities by offering an observation about your favorite columnist. However, last I checked, that's one of the main purposes of a Message Board.

You didn't offend me at all. I found it amusing that you're so obsessed with DK that you're posting non-baseball articles in the Pirates forum.

Oh, and your entire premise is wrong, as I dutifully explain in my prior post.

No. 9 wrote:
BTW, I'm pretty sure that your "Ronnie Cedeno sucks" and "Draft Anthony Rendon" posts outnumber - by a long shot - any commentary that I've offered on DK. Put that in your OCD pipe and smoke it.

You do realize that my "Ronnie Cedeno sucks" and "Draft Anthony Rendon" are actually baseball-related, right? Right? Good.

Oh, and I stopped posting about Cedeno when he left the team. I also stopped posting about Rendon after he was drafted by the Nationals. I didn't post to, say, an article about Cedeno opening a used car dealership in Saskatchewan, which is the rough equivalent of your posting to a non-baseball-related DK article.

Enjoy your Monday.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:41 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I've read those. He uses FACTS about market size and compares Pittsburgh to Cincy and St. Louis and Cleveland. Please explain how he is "dismissive" of other cites. Accusations unsupported by facts do not impress me.

The next time that I come to this site with the purpose of "impressing you" will be the first. Its never been a goal of mine . . . and I can't imagine that it ever will be.

J_C_Steel wrote:
Perhaps your blind dislike for DK prevents YOU from being objective...

I don't dislike him - not at all. He was incredibly generous with his time when I met him at old TRS and showed me - first hand - his love for the city and the immense amount of pride when PNC Park and Heinz Field were being built. He's responded to many personal emails and has been more than upfront in his responses to my questions or comments. He's in the commentary and opinion business, it lends itself to generating commentary and reacting to his opinions.

There are times that I strong disagreements with my business partners and have no qualms about telling them to their face that I disagree - sometimes in tones that some might consider to be less than civil. Doesn't stop me from having a beer with them afterwards and enjoying their company. My wife and I also don't see eye-to-eye on all things and when we don't see eye-to-eye on an issue that we both passionately believe in . . . yikes. Didn't force me to run to the courthouse and file for divorce. The world is not black and white. Lots of grey in there.