Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PEDs - Armageddon?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
I, for one, am hoping upon hope that Ryan Braun is one of the names. Please, please, please.

I don't know what relevance the report would have, since the Labor Agreement has very specific requirements for punishment of a player based upon use of PED's. Having one's name appear in a handwritten journal is not enough.

Braun's pompous public statements about PED use would be a source of further amusement if his name were on the list, no doubt, but other than that, I suspect nothing happens to those who are on the list but who test clean.

And really, I cannot say that I disagree. Yes, the list is evidence, but if a player passes the testing in place, then so be it. A failure of the testing methodology is the league's fault.

MLB is claiming otherwise and cite the Jose Guillen and Jay Gibbons situations as the precedent. Suspended not due to a failed drug test but based upon proof of purchasing PEDs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:07 pm 
 WWW  Profile

sisyphus wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
Dan Patrick claimed this morning on his radio show that, on Monday or Tuesday, there will be a list of names released that are linked to the Miami anti-aging clinic and there will be marquee players implicated. MLB is "all over it" and he indicated that it could be baseball "Armageddon."

The list will be released, people will rend their clothes and raise great lamentations about baseball's drug problem, then they'll go to a Super Bowl party and watch 20 to 40 PED monsters bash each other, and cheer when Ray Lewis is inducted into the HOF.

Oh, I forgot about the sure to be upcoming Congressional hearings looking into the terrible problems of PEDs in baseball.

Yeah, football players have just exploded in size over the past 15 or so years. They are probably on every blood-testable drug under the Sun. Yet no one cares.

These guys in baseball uniforms would make the steroid players look like Belliards by comparison. Imagine what they'd say about a baseball player that looked like this:

You can also test positive for horse steroids in the NFL and just say "I took adderall" and no one can say anything. Look at Cushing. He looks like a 100% product of juice (not from concentrate) and no one even cares anymore. Fix that and maybe they wouldn't be breaking each other as often on the field.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hi guys I'm Mark McGwire and I'm only strong because of needles.

Hey guys can you believe how big Mark McGwire looks? Oh, what's that? Why are David Boston, Thomas Jones and I all so ridiculously jacked? Yeah well we used to work out a lot when we were all in Arizona at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 pm 
 WWW  Profile

As a huge football fan and former writer for the Trib, I've read just about everything out there on the NFL and PEDs. Truth is, the steroid testing is quite good. The real issue is human growth hormone. THAT, my friends, is what many football players use to build muscle. Steroids in football actually lead to a lot more injuries due to the need for stop-and-start muscle movement. Quick twitch responses often cramp when a player cycles on steroids, leading to torn muscles.

I'd love to see blood testing in the NFL, and I believe the league is getting closer to negotiating such a test with the players' union. It almost got into the last CBA negotiation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

There's all kinds of stuff you can take to avoid getting flagged by an NFL test. "Hey, this only shows up in a blood test, take it!"