Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trick pickoff move to 3B now a balk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:07 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Good. I'm all for measures that will speed up the game. I'd like to see a time limit between pitches, actually.

This rule will speed up games at most .00000001% on average.
A pitcher can continue to step off the rubber, throw to first base, etc.

Yeah, but it's one less time-wasting method. Incremental progress, but progress.

I WANT A FRICKIN' TIMER!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:09 pm 

There is no clock in baseball....thankfully.... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:25 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Az -
Even though I'm of the Ray Miller "work fast, throw strikes, change speeds" philosophy, I'm also unabashedly in the "no clock" camp. Yeah, I found the time between Bedard's pitches to be irritating at times but, as a whole, I really don't find myself pining for shorter games.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:27 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

There is supposed to be, the rules say a pitch must be delivered in 12 seconds

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.
The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:28 pm 

Will this rule change adversely effect the Pirates record in holding runners and catching would-be base stealers? :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 pm 

Highlighted below for effect. Try timing it sometime when (a) the pitcher has the ball and (b) the batter is in the box and alert to the pitcher. I won't say that there has never been a situation where the batter has waited for more than 12 seconds but it is rare. If the pitcher takes too long, the batter asks for time or simply steps out of the batter's box - which would re-set the time. Also, the vast majority of complaints regarding pitcher delays are when runners are on base and 8.04 has no application in those situations.

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

There is supposed to be, the rules say a pitch must be delivered in 12 seconds

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.
The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 pm 

Well there is this whole rule too that umpires apply far to liberally -

The batter shall take his position in the batter’s box promptly when it is his time at bat.
(b) The batter shall not leave his position in the batter’s box after the pitcher comes to Set Position, or starts his windup.
PENALTY: If the pitcher pitches, the umpire shall call “Ball” or “Strike,” as the case may be.
Rule 6.02(b) Comment: The batter leaves the batter’s box at the risk of having a strike delivered and called, unless he requests the umpire to call “Time.” The batter is not at liberty to step in and out of the batter’s box at will.
Once a batter has taken his position in the batter’s box, he shall not be permitted to step out of the batter’s box in order to use the resin or the pine tar rag, unless there is a delay in the game action or, in the judgment of the umpires, weather conditions warrant an exception.
Umpires will not call “Time” at the request of the batter or any member of his team once the pitcher has started his windup or has come to a set position even though the batter claims “dust in his eyes,” “steamed glasses,” “didn’t get the sign” or for any other cause.
Umpires may grant a hitter’s request for “Time” once he is in the batter’s box, but the umpire should eliminate hitters walking out of the batter’s box without reason. If umpires are not lenient, batters will understand that they are in the batter’s box and they must remain there until the ball is pitched.
If pitcher delays once the batter is in his box and the umpire feels that the delay is not justified he may allow the batter to step out of the box momentarily. If after the pitcher starts his windup or comes to a “set position” with a runner on, he does not go through with his pitch because the batter has stepped out of the box, it shall not be called a balk. Both the pitcher and batter have violated a rule and the umpire shall call time and both the batter and pitcher start over from “scratch.”
(c) If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during his time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance. After the penalty, the batter may take his proper position and the regular ball and strike count shall continue. If the batter does not take his proper position before three strikes have been called, the batter shall be declared out.
Rule 6.02(c) Comment: The umpire shall give the batter a reasonable opportunity to take his proper position in the batter’s box after the umpire has called a strike pursuant to Rule 6.02(c) and before the umpire calls a successive strike pursuant to Rule 6.02(c).
(d) The following rule shall be in effect for all National Association Leagues:
(1) The batter shall keep at least one foot in the batter’s box throughout the batter’s time at bat, unless one of the following exceptions applies, in which case the batter may leave the batter’s box but not the dirt area surrounding home plate:
(i) The batter swings at a pitch;
(ii) The batter is forced out of the batter's box by a pitch;
(iii) A member of either team requests and is granted “Time”;
(iv) A defensive player attempts a play on a runner at any base;
(v) The batter feints a bunt;
(vi) A wild pitch or passed ball occurs;
(vii) The pitcher leaves the dirt area of the pitching mound after receiving the ball; or
(viii) The catcher leaves the catcher's box to give defensive signals.
Notwithstanding Rule 6.02(c), if the batter intentionally leaves the batter’s box and delays play, and none of the exceptions listed in Rule 6.02(d)(1)(i) through (viii) applies, the umpire shall award a strike without the pitcher having to deliver the pitch. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance. The umpire shall award additional strikes, without the pitcher having to deliver the pitch, if the batter remains outside the batter’s box and further delays play.
Rule 6.02(d)(1) Comment: The umpire shall give the batter a reasonable opportunity to take his proper position in the batter’s box after the umpire has called a strike pursuant to Rule 6.02(d)(1) and before the umpire calls a successive strike pursuant to Rule 6.02(d)(1).
(2) The batter may leave the batter’s box and the dirt area surrounding home plate when “Time” is called for the purpose of
(i) making a substitution; or
(ii) a conference by either team.
Rule 6.02(d) Comment: Umpires shall encourage the on-deck batter to take a position in the batter’s box quickly after the previous batter reaches base or is put out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:31 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Az -
Even though I'm of the Ray Miller "work fast, throw strikes, change speeds" philosophy, I'm also unabashedly in the "no clock" camp. Yeah, I found the time between Bedard's pitches to be irritating at times but, as a whole, I really don't find myself pining for shorter games.

Having such a clock would also encourage manipulative strategies that I believe would take away from the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Will this rule change adversely effect the Pirates record in holding runners and catching would-be base stealers? :?

No. That's the thing about being at rock-bottom: no matter the situation, you have nowhere to go but up. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:30 am 

In an effort to speed up the game, how about a rule that a batter can only adjust the straps on his batting gloves one time per at bat? Seeing guys like Jeter adjust the straps after every pitch is annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 pm 

I like the extra time between pitches to allow time for me to check out the "scenery" in the ballpark around me.... :P :P :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:59 pm 

clueless wrote:
In an effort to speed up the game, how about a rule that a batter can only adjust the straps on his batting gloves one time per at bat? Seeing guys like Jeter adjust the straps after every pitch is annoying.

You know, it was sort of laughable when only Ron Hassey did it. But now so many players do it... I'm all for speeding up the game. I really baseball to be unwatchable these days. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:35 am 

Back to the whole speeding up the game thing, Jeff Sullivan presents Carlos Pena vs Jon Papelbon. Papelbon on his own averages 31 seconds per pitch, Pena at the plate averages 27.6 seconds per pitch. When they meet the average pitch time is a ridiculous 37 seconds between pitches.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... n-waiting/