http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... th-spanky/

Post subject: Re: Good Spanky Interview
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 am 
 WWW  Profile

Ah, Spanky.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I looked at his stats. It's pretty amazing how few times he whiffed. And that career .351 OBP looks nice. He was a good piece for those early '90s Bucs teams.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:44 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I looked at his stats. It's pretty amazing how few times he whiffed. And that career .351 OBP looks nice. He was a good piece for those early '90s Bucs teams.

That was a great interview. I really liked how he claimed all of his hits were earned since we wasn't fast enough to beat out anything to first.

He was a solid contributor. I remember being outraged (OK, maybe just severely disappointed) when I found out he'd been traded. This was pretty much before the internet and there was no way the Delaware State News would have any transactions for anything other than Philly teams. We were like 20-30 games into the 94 (?) season and I kept looking at box scores wondering where he was and why wasn't he featuring. I don't there's been a player who's departure I so missed....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 am 

val wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

That was a great interview. I really liked how he claimed all of his hits were earned since we wasn't fast enough to beat out anything to first.

He was a solid contributor. I remember being outraged (OK, maybe just severely disappointed) when I found out he'd been traded. This was pretty much before the internet and there was no way the Delaware State News would have any transactions for anything other than Philly teams. We were like 20-30 games into the 94 (?) season and I kept looking at box scores wondering where he was and why wasn't he featuring. I don't there's been a player who's departure I so missed....

He was released, not traded, on April 11, 1993. White Sox signed him April 23rd, and stuck him in the minors until Fisk broke the games played record for catchers. I was stunned when the Pirates cut him. It seemed completely out of the blue.

Let this be the year!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

J_C_Steel wrote:

I used to think he sucked when I was a kid (lowish average and no homers!). Well, I still liked him but didn't think he was very good at baseball. Now I can appreciate that he was actually a pretty good player.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:24 pm 

I always liked Spanky. But, they didn't ask him anything about "the tag" in the bottom of the 9th of game 7.......on some views, it looks like he got Bream! I'm still not over that game!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 pm 

Me either...good hearing from you Doc... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm 

Sid Bream is STILL out!!!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:18 pm 

Thanks, AZ. I'm here - and ready for spring training and Bucco baseball! I'm always optimistic every year, and that holds true for this year too. I think this will be the year to at least break the streak, and I think the future looks brighter than it has for many years!! Good young players in the pipeline and some solid veterans on the big club.

I don't think I'll be over the 7th game of '92 until the Bucs make it back to the World Series! I had tickets for game one of the WS, and will never forget how that 9th played out. I video taped the game, but have not been able to watch it, but of course, have seen the play and slide many times, unfortunately. I wish they had asked Spanky about it.....cause it was a very close play, and looks like it could have been called either way!

On to the 2013 season! Let's go Bucs!!!!