Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dejan's Crusade
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:05 pm 

DK claims he has no idea why people are still talking about HokaHey, and that everyone else is keeping it in the press, then he publishes this for Baseball America. The horse was dead two months ago.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 14542.html

Post subject: Re: Dejan's Crusade
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:34 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
DK claims he has no idea why people are still talking about HokaHey, and that everyone else is keeping it in the press, then he publishes this for Baseball America. The horse was dead two months ago.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 14542.html

I used to be an avid DK fan, but his obsession with the FO has really become boring. Maybe with hockey starting up he'll devote more attention to the Pens and move off of this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:07 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Today he wrote a similar article to his previous work about the Steelers front office. When it said "Why hasn't Mendenhall explained himself publicly?", I stopped reading.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:28 pm 

On his blog, DK explained that Baseball America approached him about publishing that article. Not the other way around.

Tough to be a "crusade" if outside sources are actively requesting your work.

Also, anything inaccurate in the article itself? Or are we just playing "attack the messenger" from here on out with anything penned by DK?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:41 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
On his blog, DK explained that Baseball America approached him about publishing that article. Not the other way around.

Also, anything inaccurate in the article itself? Or are we just playing "attack the messenger" from here on out with anything penned by DK?

Its attack the messenger because he was just ranting about the fact (in his mind) that he is not keeping this story alive. Its horse hockey and he knows it. He can rationalize why he chose to write the story all he wants. He knows very well that he is the only person beating this tired old drum. No one cares and it blown way out of proportion. He is on a mission to get NH fired, period.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:57 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Its attack the messenger because he was just ranting about the fact (in his mind) that he is not keeping this story alive. Its horse hockey and he knows it. He can rationalize why he chose to write the story all he wants. He knows very well that he is the only person beating this tired old drum. No one cares and it blown way out of proportion. He is on a mission to get NH fired, period.

Dude, Baseball America asked him to write a story about this. Period. That's not DK keeping the story alive; that's Baseball America asking DK to write a column about it.

You know he gets paid to write it, right? So why would he turn it down? To avoid making NH look bad? Sheesh. He's not "on a mission to get NH fired"; rather, he's on a mission to get published in as many outlets as possible, increase his own visibility, and continue to become more successful in his chosen career. If you think he cares about NH more than providing for his family, you're insane.

And again, is there anything inaccurate in the article? I thought it summed things up pretty well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

You may be correct in that, JC, and I would take the money too because I'm a huge sellout, but...I don't think I've read about this stuff from anyone other than him since October at the least. No one else is still talking about it and I'd bet that Kovacevic prefers that people were still killing the front office for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Its horse hockey and he knows it.

...Sorry. Couldn't resist. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:19 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

I'll give you one example of why someone might conclude that the article was written with an "agenda." Merely look at his word choice. Kovacevic makes reference to the Mark Appel situation at the end of his article. The way I see it, he had three choices for how he could have worded it:

1. "The Pirates will have two first-rounders, at Nos. 9 and 13 overall, after Mark Appel refused to accept the Pirates' offer which was constrained by the recently imposed hard slotting dollar system."

2. "The Pirates will have two first-rounders, at Nos. 9 and 13 overall, after they and Mark Appel were unable to reach a mutually acceptable signing bonus."

3. "The Pirates will have two first-rounders, at Nos. 9 and 13 overall, because of their failure to sign Stanford righthander Mark Appel last summer."

Option #1 is accurate but points the finger of blame at Appel.
Option #2 is accurate but is "blame neutral."
Option #3 is accurate but points the finger of blame at NH and his crew.

Did the Pirates "fail" to sign Appel? Yes. But, was it thier "failure?" That is intentionally worded to make the Pirates look bad. Anyone with any semblance of objectiveness can see that. Its blatant.

Re-read the article in Baseball America. Then re-read what Kovacevic wrote - extensively wrote - about the alleged injuries suffered during the SEAL training and other "militaristic" exercises. Now . . . re-read the headline "Pirates Training Style Draws Scrutiny." How much of that article is actually about training styles and how much is about Coonelly and Huntington? What does Leuzinger have to do with the minor league training style? What does drafting at #9 and #13 have to do with training style? This article should not be headlined "Pirates Training Style Draws Scrutiny;" it should be headline "Criticisms surround Pirates' President and GM."

Last edited by No. 9 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:26 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Nothing inaccurate - but also nothing new. It's just boring....

And sure - can't blame him if an outside source asked him for an article. But let's not kid ourselves - DK certainly is doing his part to keep this story out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:28 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
He's not "on a mission to get NH fired"; rather, he's on a mission to get published in as many outlets as possible, increase his own visibility, and continue to become more successful in his chosen career.

Those are not mutually exclusive goals. There are incredibly wealthy and successful members of the media who reach a massive audience by spinning facts and taking facts out of context and grossly overexaggerating the importance of a particular issue. And, since you practice law in D.C., you are likely more aware of that than others. Further, if your law practice involves lobbying, you should be intimately aware of how one can profit immensely through such a practice.

You accused me the other day of being "reflexsively pro-Huntington." I think that you've pretty clearly demonstrated yourself to be "reflexsively pro-Kovacevic." But that's just my opinion . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:58 pm 

I dunno, I'm kind of glad that someone is keeping the heat on the front office. I wish there was someone who had Jerry Jones in his sights like DK has the Nutting regime in his. He is the outlet for the utter fatigue I feel about this franchise. He can keep beating this dead horse for as long as these guys keep losing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 pm 

val wrote:
I dunno, I'm kind of glad that someone is keeping the heat on the front office. I wish there was someone who had Jerry Jones in his sights like DK has the Nutting regime in his. He is the outlet for the utter fatigue I feel about this franchise. He can keep beating this dead horse for as long as these guys keep losing.

Because, as everybody knows, team owners don't care about revenue, they just care what columnists say.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:29 am 

No. 9 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
He's not "on a mission to get NH fired"; rather, he's on a mission to get published in as many outlets as possible, increase his own visibility, and continue to become more successful in his chosen career.

Those are not mutually exclusive goals. There are incredibly wealthy and successful members of the media who reach a massive audience by spinning facts and taking facts out of context and grossly overexaggerating the importance of a particular issue. And, since you practice law in D.C., you are likely more aware of that than others. Further, if your law practice involves lobbying, you should be intimately aware of how one can profit immensely through such a practice.

You accused me the other day of being "reflexsively pro-Huntington." I think that you've pretty clearly demonstrated yourself to be "reflexsively pro-Kovacevic." But that's just my opinion . . .

I withdrew my opinion that you're "reflexively pro-Huntington." You certainly have supported some things that I firmly believe were wrong, but you do try to keep an open mind.

I'm definitely "pro-Kovacevic" because he's the best sportswriter in Pittsburgh. That's pretty obvious. And he's not running one of my favorite sports franchises, so I don't really have to "judge" his work in the same way I judge that of NH and his crew.

Finally, as I noted before, the BA article is a bad example of a "crusade" because BA asked DK to write it on that topic. DK didn't push it, he was asked.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:33 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
val wrote:

Because, as everybody knows, team owners don't care about revenue, they just care what columnists say.

Okay, that flew right over my head. Who said anything about revenue? Or even what Nutting's/owners' motivations are?