Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

As to be expected, we've spent a lot of time pouring over GMNH this offseason, and what he's done, and hasn't done. Rightly so.

This next season is a big one for me. Supposing we don't make any more major roster moves involving prospects, we could be looking at a lot of new, young, drafted arms come July and August, and a few earlier.

I need to see them managed properly by Clint Hurdle. And by that, not only do I mean keeping them in games, or coming out, but putting them in a position to succeed.

That includes fielding the proper guys in the proper situations.

While I love his attitude, I certainly don't always care for his game management.

To me, this season is about learning to win. To do so, you must execute on every level, from GMNH down to your expanded roster in September.

And right there in the meaty middle is Clint Hurdle. I need more from him this year.

Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 am 

He has made some interesting moves during his tenure. I find the most frustrating to be his disinterest in having his pitchers keep runners at bay to help the catchers. Almost a disregard to the situation. This, to me, would drive the sabre metrics, in regard to his catchers off the charts. An outlier.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:29 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He has made some interesting moves during his tenure. I find the most frustrating to be his disinterest in having his pitchers keep runners at bay to help the catchers. Almost a disregard to the situation. This, to me, would drive the sabre metrics, in regard to his catchers off the charts. An outlier.....

99% sure that isn't CH's decision. I think they tried the approach with success until teams realized they could run whenever they wanted. At that point the extra bases nullified any gains the pitcher was getting by taking his time to the plate. Regardless, AJ sure won't be changing his approach anytime soon, so he will always get run on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:00 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I find the most frustrating to be his disinterest in having his pitchers keep runners at bay to help the catchers. Almost a disregard to the situation.

Seconded . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:02 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

99% sure that isn't CH's decision. I think they tried the approach with success until teams realized they could run whenever they wanted. At that point the extra bases nullified any gains the pitcher was getting by taking his time to the plate. Regardless, AJ sure won't be changing his approach anytime soon, so he will always get run on.

Yeah, I think it's NH and the player development crew who dictated that pitchers not worry about runners on base. It's something done throughout the minor league system. I don't think Hurdle has anything to do with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:20 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Yeah, I think it's NH and the player development crew who dictated that pitchers not worry about runners on base. It's something done throughout the minor league system. I don't think Hurdle has anything to do with it.

Yes, because come hell or highwater they must do things differently than everyone else...and much success they have had with this attitude!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:29 pm 

Maybe they could try on outfield shift, leaving right field undefended.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:08 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

I don't know who was behind the idea, but I heard Hurdle defend it strongly in multiple interviews.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:24 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I don't know who was behind the idea, but I heard Hurdle defend it strongly in multiple interviews.

Could be protecting the company line, could be a big fan of it. I don't know.

I know I'm not a fan of the practice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:30 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Could be protecting the company line, could be a big fan of it. I don't know.

I know I'm not a fan of the practice.

Me neither. I don't have a problem with de-emphasizing the prevention of the running game, but what I saw last year was totally ignoring the running game altogether.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Me neither. I don't have a problem with de-emphasizing the prevention of the running game, but what I saw last year was totally ignoring the running game altogether.

What I don't understand is why they think guys at this level can't at least marginally hold runners on AND concentrate on the batter. These guys have been doing this since pre high school. Even if you just show a decent move from time to time it would be better than what they are doing. I think it will help to have someone not named Barajas behind the plate as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:21 am 
 WWW  Profile

I wish that the running game was all that concerned me about Hurdle. I guess at least we're not turning Taillon and Cole over to Dusty Baker.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

What I don't understand is why they think guys at this level can't at least marginally hold runners on AND concentrate on the batter. These guys have been doing this since pre high school. Even if you just show a decent move from time to time it would be better than what they are doing. I think it will help to have someone not named Barajas behind the plate as well.

Yep, even with the lack of SP control on the running game, McKenry threw out 18% with his average arm. Just replacing Barajas with Martin will bring us back up to the lower end of the pack without changing anything.