It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stanton and farm system
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm 

WWTBD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:51 pm 

J.D. wrote:
So once again, all these can't miss prospects are so valuable we suck again this year and maybe we can be a contender after almost 30 years under .500. in 2020.

Sorry after the steaming pile of excrement we were served in the last two months of last year, and then every single person responsible remaining employed, we deserve something more. Take a chance. I am not looking forward to another 2009. My patience is almost gone.

You're missing the point of Truth's post: trading for Stanton will not make the Pirates a winner by itself. Stanton is very good, but he's not a world-beater. The Pirates will still need more good players, and those good players are likely to come from the Pirates' farm system. If you give up the entire farm for Stanton, there will be no one else to help the Pirates win for a very long time, outside of some below-average veteran free agents in the mold of Sean Casey and Kevin Correia. Trading the entire farm for Stanton would be a Pyrrhic victory.

I'm happy to consider trading for Stanton, but offering any 2 of Cole, Taillon and Heredia would be a mistake. As good as Stanton is, there is one thing he cannot do: pitch. And we will still need pitchers for when AJ Burnett and Wandy Rodriguez inevitably leave.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:12 pm 

Willton wrote:
You're missing the point of Truth's post: trading for Stanton will not make the Pirates a winner by itself. Stanton is very good, but he's not a world-beater. The Pirates will still need more good players, and those good players are likely to come from the Pirates' farm system. If you give up the entire farm for Stanton, there will be no one else to help the Pirates win for a very long time, outside of some below-average veteran free agents in the mold of Sean Casey and Kevin Correia. Trading the entire farm for Stanton would be a Pyrrhic victory.

Despite all the evidence to the contrary on the farm system? Lincoln? Maholm? Going back to Van Ben Schotten and Bullington?

And on your free agent thing? Yeah, at some point in the future Nutting will have to pony up cash for a real free agent, which as we all know, will never happen. I bet if one looked back at the history of this board in its current inception, we would see a bunch of post saying, "Gee, when we get near to being a contender, then Nutting will spend some money. Why, by golly, it may be as early as 2010.......11.......12.....13...................

Overvaluing prospects and never spending for a real free agent. You and Truth are right Wilton. I guess we should just wait until 2020.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:03 pm 

J.D. wrote:
McCutchenistheTruth wrote:
The problem with trading the farm system lies in your last sentence in my humble opinion.

"I say, go for it. Put Stanton and Cutch in the same outfield for the next three plus seasons and let's contend now. We've been talking about the future and our vaunted system for way too long. And now we're already talking about 74 wins this year and pushing the future back yet another time."

If we are only going to win 74 games next year, adding Stanton isn't going to put it us contention or even break the streak. He is incredible, don't get me wrong. Maybe he could go ballistic and hit 65 bombs and put up 12 WAR and put us in playoff contention. More likely, he puts up 5-7 WAR and we almost reach .500 again.

Now, I'm not saying don't make an offer for Stanton, but I think you have to include 3 other untouchables. Stanton would be a Pirate through 2016. That would give us 4 years with him. Since factual evidence indicates Stanton wouldn't be the sole difference between 75 wins and a playoff berth, he's going to need help. Cole is a start, but I'd want more. Taillon will start next year in AA and fingers crossed finish it in AAA or with a September call-up. He should be ready to go full time mid-2014. Hanson - who we really need to fill in and be the best SS we've had in decades - and Polanco can be ready by 2015 if the Pirates push them, giving them 2 years with Stanton. In the outfield, you'd have Cutch and Stanton, so that makes Polanco or Marte expendable. I include them in the trade. I then offer pretty much everyone else to get Stanton.

Polanco/Marte, Heredia, Kingham, Barnes, Locke, Tabata, and Jose Osuna or something like that. I'm not sure if it would get the trade done, but it's a fair offer - the Marlins would have to give 2 or 3 or more organizational minor leaguers to balance out the numbers. We would certainly be in contention sometime between 2013-2016 and if we get lucky on Hanson, Cole, and Taillon and the one we keep between Polanco/Marte, 2015 and 2016 could field potential championship teams. The major downside would be the farm system would be decimated. Looking ahead, that could hypothetically be fixed by trading McCutchen after the 2016 season. The Pirates could even go full firesale mode and trade Cole and say Marte if he's still around, guys with 2 or 3 years left on their contract instead of 4 or 5. Plus, the Pirates would get most likely two extra draft picks from Stanton and Alvarez leaving after the 2016 season.

It would create a vacuum in the farm system and most likely force a firesale. Then we could try and reload and contend in 2020 or so. The other option is to stay put, rely on a Cutch/Polanco/Marte lineup in a few years with Tabata, Presley, Snider, and Barnes as backup. Let Cole, Taillon, and Heredia shore up the rotation. Hanson take over at SS. Look to make a trade for a Stanton-esque player before the 2015 season instead of the 2013 season. I'm not sure who'd that would be, but the surrounding cast behind that player at McCutchen would be plenty stronger in a window of 2015-2018. That would be my preference.

So once again, all these can't miss prospects are so valuable we suck again this year and maybe we can be a contender after almost 30 years under .500. in 2020.

Sorry after the steaming pile of excrement we were served in the last two months of last year, and then every single person responsible remaining employed, we deserve something more. Take a chance. I am not looking forward to another 2009. My patience is almost gone.

No. Did you read? I said trade for Stanton, but try and keep Cole, Taillon, and Hanson. I'd prefer us to make a big move in a few years rather than now though because the supporting cast will be better heading into the 2015 season than the 2013 season. Gone will be Wandy, Burnett, Martin, Barmes, and Liriano, but Cole, Taillon, Sanchez, Hanson, Polanco, and Irwin should easily replace them and be much better. I'm all for an all-in strategy, I just think now is one or two years too early to execute it unless you can trade guys from the lower minors.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 pm 

J.D. wrote:
Willton wrote:

Despite all the evidence to the contrary on the farm system? Lincoln? Maholm? Going back to Van Ben Schotten and Bullington?

What evidence do you have that is "to the contrary on the farm system"? What similarities do you draw between Cole and Taillon on the one hand, and Lincoln, Maholm, JVB and Bullington on the other? How are they in any way similar, outside of being pitchers that at one point pitched in the Pirates' farm system? Or are you just reacting emotionally to years of mismanagement by prior front offices?

J.D. wrote:
And on your free agent thing? Yeah, at some point in the future Nutting will have to pony up cash for a real free agent, which as we all know, will never happen. I bet if one looked back at the history of this board in its current inception, we would see a bunch of post saying, "Gee, when we get near to being a contender, then Nutting will spend some money. Why, by golly, it may be as early as 2010.......11.......12.....13...................

"As we all know"? What do we all know? How could we possibly know that Nutting will never pony up the cash for "a real free agent" when we near contention? When have the Pirates last approached contention in the last 12 years? The truth is that you have no goddamn clue what the Pirates would do once they approach contention. Your cynical guessing is merely that: guessing.

If Nutting is willing to extend a rich contract extension to McCutchen, approve trades for expensive players like AJ Burnett and Wandy Rodriguez, and offer a $17M 2-year contract to Russell Martin, then perhaps the "Nutting is Cheap" meme lacks merit. However, the fact that the Pirates reside in a small market is inescapable, and they likely do not have the resources to convince the likes of Prince Fielder or CC Sabathia to play in Pittsburgh over a larger market. Barring a change in MLB's economics or a migration of wealth from the coasts to the Rust Belt, that's a reality that you are just going to have to accept.

J.D. wrote:
Overvaluing prospects and never spending for a real free agent. You and Truth are right Wilton. I guess we should just wait until 2020.

As opposed to your method, which apparently includes blowing your load on one or two players and hoping that doing so will put the Pirates in contention? The 2012 Marlins tried that. The Mariners and Mets did it for years. It doesn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:40 pm 

Willton wrote:
As opposed to your method, which apparently includes blowing your load on one or two players and hoping that doing so will put the Pirates in contention? The 2012 Marlins tried that. The Mariners and Mets did it for years. It doesn't work.

This is true, but a few things...

The M's and Mets often traded for older players or players not on truly 'elite' status (Erik Bedard is not Zach Grienke).

Touche on the Marlins, but they broke the bank; the Pirates would be trading lotto tickets for a cheap All-Star/MVP candidate.

Lastly and most importantly, aren't the Bucs in position to trade from the deep-ish farm system the have?

Years of picking in the top-5 has replenished their system to respectability. Paying over slot also helped the system thrive faster. They have two first rounders this year.

Of their young arms, it stands to reason that one or two will go dud, right? So why not trade a few (NOT Cole) along with some other prospects who might not fit in their long-term plan (specifically OFers) for a 'sure thing' like Stanton.

I agree that Stanton is unlikely to be moved until he hits arb. and that Taillon/Marte may very well become productive-to-All-Star ML'ers, but if there were ever a time to try and make a splash, this would be it, right?

I believe that you are right about the best long-term strategy for winning is building from the ground up. However, when the opportunity arises to even pursue an elite talent like Stanton, it seems foolish to not attempt to try.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:55 pm 

I actually would like to see Cole and Taillon reach the majors as buccos and witness their dominance as pirates. Now I'd like to see Stanton a pirate as well but wouldn't give up those two aforementioned horses to get him here. They will be special major league pitchers. I haven't given up on Bell and believe even though young and battling an early injury that he'll move through the system quickly. He's very talented and a switch hitter. He understands how to handle himself at the plate. All in all don't put yourself in position to sell the farm for one great player when you need so much more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 pm 

I wouldn't trade Cole or Bell, but I would damn sure deal Taillon, Marte and two or three "lesser" prospects for Stanton...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:29 pm 

Let me rephrase what I said above...I would deal Cole or Bell (not together) and if Cole or Bell is in the deal, the deal has far fewer players in it...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:55 pm 

House of Poe wrote:
I wouldn't trade Cole or Bell, but I would damn sure deal Taillon, Marte and two or three "lesser" prospects for Stanton...

I'm curious. Why Taillon but not Bell? I know you clarified below, but it seems you value Bell more than Taillon. At this point, Taillon is the far superior prospect, closer to the majors (ready to help sooner, which we could use), and Bell's position is much much deeper (we have 6 billion outfielders and outfield prospects for 3 spots compared to less good pitching prospects for 5 spots).

I'm not advocating Taillon should be untouchable, but the idea of keeping Bell over Taillon, even if you factor in the fact that Taillon would be worth more in a trade (and would hypothetically require the inclusion of less from the Pirates to complete the deal), strikes me as strange.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:14 pm 

Just my opinion: we need to draft the Stantons of the world, not trade a bunch of the guys we did draft to get him. I know it's easier said than done, but whether it's luck or great scouting knowledge, we're going nowhere until we hit on more of these guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 pm 

Taillon is my favorite of all our prospects. I just think he is a natural talent who possesses all the qualities necessary to be a true ace.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:26 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Willton wrote:

This is true, but a few things...

The M's and Mets often traded for older players or players not on truly 'elite' status (Erik Bedard is not Zach Grienke).

Touche on the Marlins, but they broke the bank; the Pirates would be trading lotto tickets for a cheap All-Star/MVP candidate.

Lastly and most importantly, aren't the Bucs in position to trade from the deep-ish farm system the have?

Years of picking in the top-5 has replenished their system to respectability. Paying over slot also helped the system thrive faster. They have two first rounders this year.

Of their young arms, it stands to reason that one or two will go dud, right? So why not trade a few (NOT Cole) along with some other prospects who might not fit in their long-term plan (specifically OFers) for a 'sure thing' like Stanton.

I agree that Stanton is unlikely to be moved until he hits arb. and that Taillon/Marte may very well become productive-to-All-Star ML'ers, but if there were ever a time to try and make a splash, this would be it, right?

I believe that you are right about the best long-term strategy for winning is building from the ground up. However, when the opportunity arises to even pursue an elite talent like Stanton, it seems foolish to not attempt to try.

Ugh. I appreciate the response here and I understand it, but I have to break a few things down here.

"Touche on the Marlins, but they broke the bank; the Pirates would be trading lotto tickets for a cheap All-Star/MVP candidate."

Define lotto tickets. Taillon is not a lotto ticket. There is strong statistical evidence that elite prospects (consensus top 25 guys), such as Cole and Taillon, succeed at a far superior and statistically significant rate than even back end top 100 guys. They are not lotto tickets. Tyler Glasnow is a lotto ticket. Clay Holmes is a lotto ticket. Willy Garcia is a lotto ticket. Cole, Taillon (especially) Heredia, Hanson, and Polanco are stocks and bonds at this point. Very valuable stocks and bonds.

Yes and no. As has been iterated above, if Stanton were to be traded this offseason, he would be the biggest trade chip moved... ever. Ever. This article from fangraphs rates Stanton as the 5th most valuable trade chip in baseball right now behind Trout, Harper, Cutch, and Longoria. He would be incredibly expensive in prospect terms. Young, immensely talented, and plenty of years of control left.

Point being, we do have a deep-ish farm system, but we aren't drowning in talent. We made a fairly big move last trade deadline in trading Grossman (traded from our OF depth), Owens (Basically equal with Locke, McPherson, and kinda Irwin at the time). In that 4-8 range of pitching talent. Cain wasn't even in the top 10 of pitchers. Trading arguably your 4th best OF prospect (especially when you have Cutch already in the majors) and a pitching prospect without elite upside who's no better than your 4th best pitching prospect + some filler for a #3-4 starter with 2.5 years of control left is a really good move. It doesn't decimate the farm system and makes a legitimate improvement to the major league team. Trading what it would take to get Stanton - say good-bye to at least 4 or 5 if not more of our top 10 prospects - would improve the team for 3 years (in reality, we'd probably have to trade Stanton after the 2015 season to recoup some value - but his value would drop by then) but would also take us from a top 5 system to a bottom 10 system. It would take several more years to rebuild the depth and it probably would make us suck something fierce from 2016-2020.

Yes it does. That's why you get so many. We all hope Cole, Taillon, and Heredia all become legitimate aces, Locke and McPherson become #3-4 guys, and Kingham, Holmes, and Glasnow become #2-3 guys, but it ain't happening. Just looking at Cole, Taillon, and Heredia, a realistic outcome would be a borderline ace, a #2, and a #3-4. Seriously. That's the attrition rate. By trading a few of them, you make it hard to make a legitimate rotation (we might just have enough pitching depth right now to field an above-average rotation from 2015-2020) and you run the risk that we trade the guys who hit and keep the duds. Things would be different if we had signed Appel and say taken Daniel Norris instead of Josh Bell and if had Stetson Allie were still alive and if ZVR was half decent, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

No. I really don't believe now is the time to make a splash. We could trade Stanton and still not make the playoffs. I think you make a move like this when it's "We get player X and we are now a legitimate championship contender." Above, I advocated maybe trying this if we can build a package around Marte/Polanco (one becomes expendable) + guys that will start next year in A+ (Bradenton) ball or below, Alen Hanson exempt. That's Heredia, Bell, Barnes, Kingham, Glasnow, Holmes, etc. I would throw in Locke, McPherson, Tabata, and Presley if they want. I doubt that gets it done though. Basically, Hanson, Cole, Taillon, Sanchez and one of Polanco/Marte must be kept for me to do the trade. That would, they could fill in holes and we could make a legitimate run in 2015 and 2016 (and just not trade Stanton).

That said, there will be another Stanton available say before the 2015 season. There are always guys available. Latos and Gio Gonzalez two years ago. Shields this offseason. David Price will probably be on the block in the future. Cutch isn't a free agent until 2018. There's no need to rush and there will be a difference in 2015 compared to now. Our rotation should include Cole and Taillon. Our outfield should include Polanco and an experienced Marte. Our SS should be Alen Hanson. Our 1B should be Dickerson or Osuna. Our C should be Tony Sanchez. We should be better, potentially much better, and then would be the time to strike. Then, a big trade would make his a championship contender. Small market success is all about windows. Our window is starting to crack, but it should get busted open in a few years and won't shut till Cutch leaves. However, a trade for Stanton would close the window in 2016, leaving it open for a very short time.

That's my 2 cents. I agree with your basic premise. I just think it's a year or, more likely, two early.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:41 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Taillon is my favorite of all our prospects. I just think he is a natural talent who possesses all the qualities necessary to be a true ace.

I saw him in his 2nd start in Altoona this past summer...He was the Eastern League Pitcher of the Week in his first week at AA. 11 shutout innings.

It would be nice to see him and Cole make it to the Majors midseason.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:46 pm 

Cole, Taillon (especially) Heredia, Hanson, and Polanco are stocks and bonds at this point. Very valuable stocks and bonds.

Touche. I used improper terms.

I think you make a move like this when it's "We get player X and we are now a legitimate championship contender."

That said, there will be another Stanton available say before the 2015 season. There are always guys available.

However, a trade for Stanton would close the window in 2016, leaving it open for a very short time.

I just think it's a year or, more likely, two early.

Fair enough.

I hope you are right and that said player available in the future fits a need/is young/cost efficient enough for the Bucs to become that championship team.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:05 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Just saw this prospect ranking list from 2006 in a fangraphs article. Not a whole lotta success there.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/fe ... p100c.html

I'm conflicted on what I'd trade for Stanton, but in the end I'd probably give up Taillon and Bell if they asked.

EDIT: Pirates had two of the top 2006 prospects in 2006. Now we have 4! Yeah!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:28 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Just saw this prospect ranking list from 2006 in a fangraphs article.

Did NH provide the link? ;)

Discounting Cutch and Walker I count 10 players on that list who have or currently sport a Pirates uni. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:11 pm 
 WWW  Profile

NSMaster56 wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Discounting Cutch and Walker I count 10 players on that list who have or currently sport a Pirates uni. :shock:

Guess the team figured better late than never to build that 2006 farm system!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:13 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

I always chuckle about that manager saying Wood is the next Cal Ripken Jr. :lol:

Its like they didn't know about Cal league and PCL inflation back then. Really Wood was the classic bust formula like Hermansen, tons of power but too much swing and miss.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:17 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Just saw this prospect ranking list from 2006 in a fangraphs article. Not a whole lotta success there.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/fe ... p100c.html

I'm conflicted on what I'd trade for Stanton, but in the end I'd probably give up Taillon and Bell if they asked.

EDIT: Pirates had two of the top 2006 prospects in 2006. Now we have 4! Yeah!

A few other thoughts looking back, its rare that so many of the top SP prospects actually pan out. You have to go down to #34/35 to get the first busts.

There were a lot of good bats on that list, I'm not sure we have close to that in the minors right now in MLB.