It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Swing-and-a-Miss: Miguel Sano
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:25 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
From DK's Twitter, Sulia, and Facebook pages:

Yikes. Cringeworthy stuff from Baseball America's newest scouting report on Miguel Sano. Baseball America: "Sano has enough juice to earn comparisons to Giancarlo Stanton, the only right-handed hitter in the game who matches his 80 raw power on the 20-80 scouting scale. He's strong enough to hit the ball out to any part of any park. Minnesota envisions him as a cleanup hitter." Sano's agent, Rob Plummer, reiterated on my Facebook page last month that all the Pirates needed to do was pay another $500K, and Sano was theirs.

That's a biiiiiiiiiig mistake from NH and his staff. Sucks.

Yep, most likely the biggest mistake they have made underestimating Plummer and trusting Gayo a little too much.

Yea, I don't even like to think about this one. You think the Wieters move hurt....this one may turn out worse. And the solution was just as simple.

NH wasn't responsible for the Weiters mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:19 am 

rellimie wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
Yea, I don't even like to think about this one. You think the Wieters move hurt....this one may turn out worse. And the solution was just as simple.

Didn't mean to insinuate it was. Just meant two good players(assuming Sano pans out) that should be Pirates that aren't. Really bad baseball moves. Frustrating as a fan to think what might have/could have been...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
rellimie wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

Didn't mean to insinuate it was. Just meant two good players(assuming Sano pans out) that should be Pirates that aren't. Really bad baseball moves. Frustrating as a fan to think what might have/could have been...

I'm still not convinced that Sano was their fault. 2.6 million is a legit offer. If they weren't given an opportunity to counter what another team offered then I'm not blaming NH for that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 pm 

rellimie wrote:
I'm still not convinced that Sano was their fault. 2.6 million is a legit offer. If they weren't given an opportunity to counter what another team offered then I'm not blaming NH for that.

Nah. We all know that the Pirates can't compete for big time free agents. These are the kind of players they have to take a chance on. He was there's to be had and they didn't understand the situation. Regardless of what the loopy agent was saying, the Pirates should have got this one done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:06 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
rellimie wrote:

Nah. We all know that the Pirates can't compete for big time free agents. These are the kind of players they have to take a chance on. He was there's to be had and they didn't understand the situation. Regardless of what the loopy agent was saying, the Pirates should have got this one done.

So you're telling me that offering 2.6 million to a 17 year old kid from another country isn't taking a risk?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 pm 

As soon as the Sano family began thinking that Gayo was spreading rumors about his age and began to believe that he wasn't getting his anticipated $4M to $6M offers because of Gayo's alleged activities (and I'll leave whether they got that information and expectation from Plummer for you to decide), he wasn't going to sign with the Pirates.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 pm 

Dominican baseball is a sleazy business. Real sleazy. 8-) 8-) 8-)