Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Giancarlo Stanton is Available
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:22 pm 

Other teams may have inquired, but it's quite possible that the Pirates are one of the few fits for what the Marlins would want to get....several real prospects with lots of years of control. I remember Neal being questioned about hoarding all the pitching prospects and saying that one of the reasons for taking so many pitchers over position players was because they were a more tradeable commodity as prospects.

This would indeed cost us a lot, but what is the harm in offering a package similar to those being suggested here. I do agree that I would not include Cole in any package, but i would certainly include the others plus throw in one of our 3,000 corner OF/1B candidates.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:13 pm 

bradf wrote:
I do agree that I would not include Cole in any package

I agree but I also feel the same about Marte at this point. Call me crazy but if he steps it up with Cutch here it is a plus. Stanton is intriguing and a force. Where his head is would be the big ? IMHO 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:35 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
bradf wrote:
I do agree that I would not include Cole in any package

I agree but I also feel the same about Marte at this point. Call me crazy but if he steps it up with Cutch here it is a plus. Stanton is intriguing and a force. Where his head is would be the big ? IMHO 8-) 8-)

Marte is 24 (25 at the end of this season) and still has a lot to prove, IMO still a prospect with potential. Stanton is 2 years and 1 month younger and already a 40HR power hitter with that can hit for average and get on base. No way would I let a deal for Stanton fall through because I don't want to throw Marte in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:06 am 

There is absolutely no way the bucs could get Stanton here without giving up Cole. C'mon now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:04 am 
 WWW  Profile

buccosfan77 wrote:
There is absolutely no way the bucs could get Stanton here without giving up Cole. From anyone other than Peter Lorria.

Fixed :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am 

The Pirates simply cannot trade Gerrit Cole. Why? Well, I GMed the Pirates in MLB '12 The Show on my PlayStation Vita from 2013 through 2030 and Cole ended up with a career that saw him compile the following statistics:

18 seasons
405 wins
66 losses
4,136 strikeouts
2.78 ERA
10 Cy Young awards
3 MVP awards
13 World Series titles
2 World Series MVP trophies

In my view, anything less than that for Cole will be a disappointment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:30 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
The Pirates simply cannot trade Gerrit Cole. Why? Well, I GMed the Pirates in MLB '12 The Show on my PlayStation Vita from 2013 through 2030 and Cole ended up with a career that saw him compile the following statistics:

18 seasons
405 wins
66 losses
4,136 strikeouts
2.78 ERA
10 Cy Young awards
3 MVP awards
13 World Series titles
2 World Series MVP trophies

In my view, anything less than that for Cole will be a disappointment.

That's kind of like the Pedro plaque that Tim Williams made on his debut day :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:18 pm 

I don't think trading for Stanton makes a whole lot of sense...I mean it would be very exciting and could work out, but we have other needs, and it would suck giving up Cole or Taillon, and I think we should give Marte a long look in left field.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:31 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I don't think trading for Stanton makes a whole lot of sense...I mean it would be very exciting and could work out, but we have other needs, and it would suck giving up Cole or Taillon, and I think we should give Marte a long look in left field.

Genuinely curious:

Over the years you have demanded that the Bucs FO spends cash on big name FA's, from Pujols to Reyes.

So why would you be opposed to trading for such an impact player?

The Bucs are in a better position to trade prospects for a young 'sure thing' than to break the bank for older one (with higher potential to decline).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:21 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Genuinely curious:

Over the years you have demanded that the Bucs FO spends cash on big name FA's, from Pujols to Reyes.

So why would you be opposed to trading for such an impact player?

The Bucs are in a better position to trade prospects for a young 'sure thing' than to break the bank for older one (with higher potential to decline).

Cole can be an impact player for the Pirates this season, and he would be under control longer then Stanton. Thats why I don't think they should move him for Stanton...However I would still be very exciting to see Stanton play for the bucs.

I just never understand why the bucs shell out about 10-15 million a year on declining stop gap mediocre veterans every season. Look at the Randa, Burnitz, Barmes, Barajas, Overbay, ect. If they would instead save that money up to pay guys they draft or pay young foreign talent like Cespedes or Sano, then they would have more success. Even saving up money for a couple years to go out and pay a Jose Reyes would have made sense instead of signing mediocre veterans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:11 am 

I've always wondered that as well ryann.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I've been calling for this ever since the Marlins fire sale began. If a package of, say, Taillon, Marte, Sands, Hanson, and Kingham could bring back Giancarlo Stanton, the Pirates should do it. Pairing him with McCutchen gives the Bucs one of the best 3-4 hitter tandems in the majors for years to come.

Might as well offer a package of batting practice balls and broken bats, because that has about the same chance of getting accepted. I don't think there is any chance the Marlins will take any package that doesn't include Cole. They probably will insist on Cole AND Taillon, plus others.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:43 am 

This whole thread is an exercise in futility anyway.

Quote:
Giancarlo Stanton rumors have been circulating since November, when the Marlins traded all their other players to Toronto and Stanton tweeted, “Alright, I’m pissed off!!!” But they’d been dormant for a a few weeks before December 30th, when Marlins AGM Dan Jennings told Jim Bowden that the team was “willing to listen” to offers for Stanton. Never mind that Jennings insisted that the Marlins “are not shopping him” and are “certainly not looking to move him.” Never mind that he added that the Marlins have “never not listened to a deal on any player.” We now know for sure that the Marlins will not hang up their phones, block your number, and smash their SIM cards if you call them and say “Giancarlo Stanton,” so it’s safe to speculate. We’re guilty of speculating ourselves, though we at least attempt to be realistic about it.

Late on Wednesday, Ken Rosenthal found a source who said that the odds of a Stanton trade are “as close to zero as they can be.” Jon Heyman found a “person familiar with marlins thinking” (“Stanton is good and our fans are fed up with us already”) who was willing to put the odds at exactly zero. But by then it was too late: Stanton had already been acquired in internet comment sections by fans of all 29 other teams. A few years ago, Matt Swartz laid out several rules for constructing plausible trade rumors in a piece at BP: salary matters, years under team control matter, quantity doesn’t make up for lack of quality, and so on. Most of the commenters who proposed packages for Stanton must have missed that article.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=19297

Reminds me of Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber: "So you're saying there's a chance!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:52 am 

Willton wrote:

Quote:
Giancarlo Stanton rumors have been circulating since November, when the Marlins traded all their other players to Toronto and Stanton tweeted, “Alright, I’m pissed off!!!” But they’d been dormant for a a few weeks before December 30th, when Marlins AGM Dan Jennings told Jim Bowden that the team was “willing to listen” to offers for Stanton. Never mind that Jennings insisted that the Marlins “are not shopping him” and are “certainly not looking to move him.” Never mind that he added that the Marlins have “never not listened to a deal on any player.” We now know for sure that the Marlins will not hang up their phones, block your number, and smash their SIM cards if you call them and say “Giancarlo Stanton,” so it’s safe to speculate. We’re guilty of speculating ourselves, though we at least attempt to be realistic about it.

Late on Wednesday, Ken Rosenthal found a source who said that the odds of a Stanton trade are “as close to zero as they can be.” Jon Heyman found a “person familiar with marlins thinking” (“Stanton is good and our fans are fed up with us already”) who was willing to put the odds at exactly zero. But by then it was too late: Stanton had already been acquired in internet comment sections by fans of all 29 other teams. A few years ago, Matt Swartz laid out several rules for constructing plausible trade rumors in a piece at BP: salary matters, years under team control matter, quantity doesn’t make up for lack of quality, and so on. Most of the commenters who proposed packages for Stanton must have missed that article.

Are there any rules about players not reporting to Spring Training? Could he force a trade by not reporting? If so, wouldn't the asking price decrease if Stanton made it clear he wasn't playing for Miami?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:55 am 

nad69dan wrote:
Willton wrote:

Quote:

Are there any rules about players not reporting to Spring Training? Could he force a trade by not reporting? If so, wouldn't the asking price decrease if Stanton made it clear he wasn't playing for Miami?

I hope you're not proposing that we kidnap Giancarlo Stanton. Because that is the only reason why he would not report to Spring Training.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:10 pm 

Willton wrote:
I hope you're not proposing that we kidnap Giancarlo Stanton. Because that is the only reason why he would not report to Spring Training.

No. I just wonder if he would be mad enough to not report in hope to get out of Miami after their Fire Sale...

Wilton, you are from New Jersey and everyone knows that everyone from New Jersey knows Bruce Springsteen and guys from Mob. Do you know of anyone willing to kidnap him? (I'm joking)

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:44 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Willton wrote:

No. I just wonder if he would be mad enough to not report in hope to get out of Miami after their Fire Sale...

Wilton, you are from New Jersey and everyone knows that everyone from New Jersey knows Bruce Springsteen and guys from Mob. Do you know of anyone willing to kidnap him? (I'm joking)

No, but I'm sure I could find someone. I am a lawyer, after all.