Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hanrahan trade
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 pm 

I will freely admit that Hanrahan will get pounded if he has another year like 2012 but I don't think he will because one year doesn't make it a trend and I think he has the mental toughness to play in a demanding town like Boston.
I don't need a five page dissertation on each player...either the guy can play in the bigs or he can't...I've offered my opinion and if I'm wrong, I'll be happy because that means the Bucs made a great deal...unfortunately, I'm not going to be way off base on this one...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:48 pm 

House of Poe wrote:
Not to mention the fact that there's an extra high draft pick involved if the player walks...this deal doesn't have a good future unless a lot of things fall into place...

That presumes that the Pirates would have offered Hanrahan a contract that was at least equal to the average of the 125 richest contracts in baseball, and that Hanrahan would have rejected such a deal. I find that to be rather farfetched. Either you are not completely aware of the new free agent compensation rules in the new CBA (see here), or you are being completely unrealistic as to what Hanrahan could get as a free agent in the 2013-2014 offseason.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:54 pm 

Depends on the length of the deal... I'm sure Hanrahan will be looking for a three year deal minimum...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:01 pm 

Several more blogs weigh in -

Two from the Sox side -
http://www.overthemonster.com/2012/12/2 ... ox-pirates

http://thebeanball.com/2012/12/27/new-b ... -a-closer/

One from our side -
http://raisethejollyroger.com/2012/12/h ... -complete/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:50 pm 

House of Poe wrote:
You can't gauge future ERA's with a formula because nobody can see the other variables involved (the pitchers health, sudden loss or gain of velocity or movement, player gets dealt and has to pitch in a bandbox or canyon...)
All these numbers are for people who don't know how to instinctively look at a player and determine if he's any good. I don't need these numbers because I've been around the game long enough to know (with pretty good accuracy) who can play at the major league level and who can't...

If those people who knew how to instinctively look at a player and determine if he's any good had a clue, Chad Hermanson would be wrapping up his HOF career right about now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:19 pm 

House of Poe wrote:
Not to mention the fact that there's an extra high draft pick involved if the player walks...this deal doesn't have a good future unless a lot of things fall into place...

There is no draft pick for Joel, they would have had to offer $13 million to get one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:43 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
If those people who knew how to instinctively look at a player and determine if he's any good had a clue, Chad Hermanson would be wrapping up his HOF career right about now.

He WOULD, except the cheap Nuttings wanted to keep him affordable and never gave him a chance.

Never mind that his career pre-dates Nutting, or that his actual production was woeful. I can STILL blame those cheap Nutting bastards.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:47 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
House of Poe wrote:

There is no draft pick for Joel, they would have had to offer $13 million to get one.

And he would have taken 13. Therefore we wouldn't have had the pick anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:49 pm 

House of Poe wrote:
I will freely admit that Hanrahan will get pounded if he has another year like 2012 but I don't think he will because one year doesn't make it a trend and I think he has the mental toughness to play in a demanding town like Boston.
I don't need a five page dissertation on each player...either the guy can play in the bigs or he can't...I've offered my opinion and if I'm wrong, I'll be happy because that means the Bucs made a great deal...unfortunately, I'm not going to be way off base on this one...

Of course the real Joel could have been the 2007 - 2009, 2012 pitcher and 2010 and 2011 could have been the fluke years.