Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tonights Game 5-10-08
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:05 pm 

He did it, DP...but Freddy almost bounced it to 1st...We're in trouble if a day or two off doesnt help him...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:09 pm 

Worst predictions ever in a thread . . . ever.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:11 pm 

Since I'm always after Bay, let me say that I'm glad Bay is having a great game. He sure has been clutch tonight. But it takes more games to suggest he's good in the clutch.

How about Micheals-- looks like a good addition
Paulino like Bay making this "the" game for him too.

Freddy needs rest for his arm. He just can't play like this long. Probably the reason his average is off this season.

Gorzo had a much better start but he is not near last year. They tended to hit at'em balls but was much improved, and hope for him getting back his form.

How about that DP record? We are first by a goodly margin.

Last edited by Substitute2 on Sat May 10, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:13 pm 

The DP numbers are scary and lucky because of all the walks we've given up this year...

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:15 pm 

Nice play by Freddy to rob the Braves of a bloop single...That's all she wrote

5-2 Pirates

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:52 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
The DP numbers are scary and lucky because of all the walks we've given up this year...

Weren't we among the leaders in turning DP's last year as well? I think it is more a function of having a bunch of pitchers on the staff who pitch to contact but are ground ball pitchers. The result is that we put a lot of people on, but get a lot of ground balls to double them off. Of course, Jack Wilson helps a lot (last year). But the fact that we are leading again this year with rather lousy defense up the middle suggest pitching is a bigger factor than defense.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:58 pm 

The Braves botched two sac bunts tonight. Both were hit too hard, fielded well by Gorzo and resulted in the demise of the lead runner. Also, give credit to Gorzo for a clutch snag on a hard liner right back at him which resulted in a DP. Pitchers help their cause when they play the field competently. Paul Maholm take note...

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:13 am 

Again I was at hockey tonight, so again I'll just leave it at this ... woo hoo! 5 in a row!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:29 am 

The pick-up of Michaels sure looks like a smart move (almost oxymoronic in the context of past Pirates' trades!).

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:31 am 

No. 9 wrote:

You noticed that as well? I'm sure a few people wouldn't mind if the first page of this thread got hacked.

JR is an idiot.

:)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:11 am 

Argentum wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

You noticed that as well? I'm sure a few people wouldn't mind if the first page of this thread got hacked.

JR is an idiot.

Oh, come on! We hardly shelled Chuch James like we probably should have. Yeah, we scored 5 runs, but we weren't exactly crushing the ball and stacking up baserunners.

And I'll personally stand by my statement that I wouldn't hit Michaels 3rd. Even in hindsight, I think its a bad move. It worked out though, so kudos to Russell.

DK said something in the Q&A this week that I find to be especially true...Russell has made a bunch of head-scratching moves this year, but they don't seem to ever come back and bite him. Contrast that to Tracy, whose every move was the wrong move, even if it seemed like it was the right move.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:02 am 

Russell made a good decision before the game to give McLouth a game off as he's been scuffling a bit in May. The Pirates would be wise to do the same with Xavier Nady today and let Jason Michaels continue his work from last night.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:31 pm 

BBF wrote:
Oh, come on! We hardly shelled Chuch James like we probably should have. Yeah, we scored 5 runs, but we weren't exactly crushing the ball and stacking up baserunners.

And I'll personally stand by my statement that I wouldn't hit Michaels 3rd. Even in hindsight, I think its a bad move. It worked out though, so kudos to Russell.

DK said something in the Q&A this week that I find to be especially true...Russell has made a bunch of head-scratching moves this year, but they don't seem to ever come back and bite him. Contrast that to Tracy, whose every move was the wrong move, even if it seemed like it was the right move.

Happy Mother's Day BBF!

When do we ever shell anyone we're supposed to?

I was going to say that I also felt that line-up was kinda lame when I first saw it, but since I'm rather enjoying the hissy fit, I'm not gonna!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:35 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

JR is an idiot.

Pre-game comments predicted that sitting McLouth and Doumit at the same time (and playing Michaels and Paulino instead) would suck the life out of the offense. As it turns out, Michaels had 3 hits and Paulino drove in 3 runs. Both players were instrumental to last night's win. Other pre-game comments suggested that Russell was essentially throwing in the towel; handing the Braves a win and killing the winning streak. Turned out to be far from actuality. An in game comment about Osoria's ineffectiveness immediately preceded an inning ending double play.

Has Osoria been ineffective? Yes.
Has Doumit been better than Paulino? Yes.
Has McLouth outperformed Michaels to date this year? Yes.

I'm the first one to say that you must examine a decision at the time that it is made rather than after you see the results of the decision. I'm also not saying that an offense with Michaels and Paulino is better than or even equal to an offense with McLouth and Doumit or that Osaria was necessarily my choice at that point of the game as well. However, whether those comments/opinions that were posted last night had any basis in fact doesn't change the reality of last night's game. I just found it rather humorous that the results of last night's game were about 180 degrees from ALL of the comments on the board --- hence, my comment about "worst predictions ever in a thread."

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:27 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I'm the first one to say that you must examine a decision at the time that it is made rather than after you see the results of the decision. I'm also not saying that an offense with Michaels and Paulino is better than or even equal to an offense with McLouth and Doumit or that Osaria was necessarily my choice at that point of the game as well. However, whether those comments/opinions that were posted last night had any basis in fact doesn't change the reality of last night's game. I just found it rather humorous that the results of last night's game were about 180 degrees from ALL of the comments on the board --- hence, my comment about "worst predictions ever in a thread."

Exactly...as they say, "That's why they play the game". On paper, JR's lineup didn't look like he was fielding a team with the intent to win a game (though with our roster, any lineup would be debatable along that point). But win they did. If our backups can produce like that on every getaway day, we are in quite an enviable position. If only our SS backups could do something like that...

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:49 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Has Osoria been ineffective? Yes.
Has Doumit been better than Paulino? Yes.
Has McLouth outperformed Michaels to date this year? Yes.

I'm the first one to say that you must examine a decision at the time that it is made rather than after you see the results of the decision.

Okay.

If the Pirates put on McLouth and Doumit on the bench for most games and brought in Osoria in close games, I would wager that they would not have good success.

Does anybody disagree?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:06 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Does anybody disagree?

I think them dat theres one of those suckers bets I'm always hearin' bout! In the perfect world, your best players play in a 162 games.

Then there's last night.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:35 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Does anybody disagree?

I think them dat theres one of those suckers bets I'm always hearin' bout! In the perfect world, your best players play in a 162 games.

To make my point clear:

Doumit is not going to play a day game after a night game.
    Paulino should play against L-handers.
    I have not suggested anything to the contrary.
    McLouth needs to get a day off now and again.
    Michaels is a good 4th outfielder. He can hit, particularly L-handed pitching.
    So, putting Michaels and Paulino in the game against left-handers, particularly a Sat night game, makes sense.
    But removing both Doumit and McLouth really reduces the offense, by a large margin. Doumit and McLouth are two of the best hitters in the organization.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:46 pm 

But . . . it doesn't change the fact that everyone's predictions last night proved to be wrong. That is all. Nothing more. Nothing less. I just found it humorous. Can't ever remember a game playing out in almost complete opposite to everyone's comments . . . ever.