Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates sign Russell Martin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It could just be that I'm really hopeful that the Bucs do right, but I'm starting to come around on this Martin signing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:40 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
If C and SP weren't our biggest needs, what was?! If the move precludes getting a SP then OK, but I don't think it does at all.

I'd say SS was an even bigger need than C. McKenry was fairly decent last year, while Barmes was an offensive black hole.

Cue Espinosa!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:45 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
If C and SP weren't our biggest needs, what was?! If the move precludes getting a SP then OK, but I don't think it does at all.

I'd say SS was an even bigger need than C. McKenry was fairly decent last year, while Barmes was an offensive black hole.

Cue Espinosa!

Homer: Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I wouldn't deal Marte for Espinosa, but I would not hate the idea. Barmes' glove outweighs the need for me. McKenry did hit, but he is not a good defensive C.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:06 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Cue Espinosa!

How is SS a need? So many people put SS at the top of the list for next year and I don't get it. Is it a long term need yes, is it a immediate need for 2013, absolutely not!

Clint Barmes did an adequate job the 2nd half of last season (.255/.318/.348/.666), 1.2 WAR for the season for the 8th hitter in the lineup. If you compare that to what is out there, I'm not sure how you intend to upgrade that position. Your options are:

Stephen Drew - .228/.318/.363/.681 (2nd half), -0.1 WAR for the season
Ronny Cedeno - 259 ./.310/.481/.791 (2nd half), 0.3 WAR for the season

Yunel Escobar is also available via trade, his 2nd half numbers are (.250/.297/.357/.654), 2.5 WAR for the season.

So you tell me where the upgrade is or is needed? Barmes' defense is just as good if not better that the guys on this list. You can cry all you want about his 1st half numbers but his 1st half slump did not hurt this team nor do I think he will have that slump next year. My prediction is he does what he did the 2nd half and I am fine with that from a SS with above average D.

Needs are obvious:

C - Martin is a great sign and a bargin if you look at the cost for players this off season.

SP - I'd love for them to sign someone or trade for someone but I'm not opposed to Cole being the guy to solve this problem if he's ready.

Leadoff Hitter - Not sure how or if this is going to happen unless Jones or Tabata are traded. This is the one spot though that I would say a new SS could come into play is if the new SS is also a high OBP guy that bats leadoff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:14 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Leadoff Hitter - Not sure how or if this is going to happen unless Jones or Tabata are traded. This is the one spot though that I would say a new SS could come into play is if the new SS is also a high OBP guy that bats leadoff.

I said it last year and if Tabata or Marte arent the answer then go with Neil Walker.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:17 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
rellimie wrote:

I said it last year and if Tabata or Marte arent the answer then go with Neil Walker.

Didn't Clint Hurdle flirt with the idea of Neil Walker leading off for us and joked about him being the biggest leadoff hitter in the majors? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:52 pm 

CashInFist wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
rellimie wrote:

Didn't Clint Hurdle flirt with the idea of Neil Walker leading off for us and joked about him being the biggest leadoff hitter in the majors? :lol:

I want a leadoff hitter who gets on base and he is the best option minus McCutchen. I could care less about his size as a leadoff hitter.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...