Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
A quick fix? This isn't getting a year of, say, Adam Dunn. This would be trading a bunch of prospects for a guy that you would dream even one of your prospects would turn out to be. That was a tortured sentence. And you'd have him for 6 years.

You would have him for 4 years instead of a potential #1,2 SP, a #3-4 SP, a 3-4 WAR OF, and a top 30 or 40 prospect in MLB all of which you do have for 6+ years and about $40 million in salary. I understand the deal fully, Stanton is a 6 WAR OF with the most power in MLB. I would keep the four players and the money that can be spent elsewhere. We have too many needs to focus talent on one position. We don't have the type of system depth that could compensate for the losses at the top. For me, the 4 wins we would get over Tabata/Snider in RF isn't worth giving up the potential 5 to 7 wins on the mound. You keep the cheap prospects and spend $40 million a a free agent that can give another 3 wins and you are far ahead to pass on one star. There also is the risk with Stanton regarding his 29% K rate, we have seen how far south a guy can go with so much swing and miss in his game.

But who exactly do you spend all of this money you save on? Who is this $40 million free agent? If somebody like Relapse Hamilton were available for say 2 years $40 mil, I'd say absolutely. But those guys don't take $40 million deals.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:04 pm 

I agree with Barry, too much top end talent to give up for one player.

Marte has already proven himself in my eyes. He's going to be good. Not Mike Stanton good, but good. And Taillon is the bluest of blue chippers. I am not trading him for anyone. I really think he is going to be the one we've been waiting for. Justin Verlander level, there I said it.

And it's all hot stove talk anyway because the Pirates don't even consider those types of deals.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:17 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
A quick fix? This isn't getting a year of, say, Adam Dunn. This would be trading a bunch of prospects for a guy that you would dream even one of your prospects would turn out to be. That was a tortured sentence. And you'd have him for 6 years.

You would have him for 4 years instead of a potential #1,2 SP, a #3-4 SP, a 3-4 WAR OF, and a top 30 or 40 prospect in MLB all of which you do have for 6+ years and about $40 million in salary. I understand the deal fully, Stanton is a 6 WAR OF with the most power in MLB. I would keep the four players and the money that can be spent elsewhere. We have too many needs to focus talent on one position. We don't have the type of system depth that could compensate for the losses at the top. For me, the 4 wins we would get over Tabata/Snider in RF isn't worth giving up the potential 5 to 7 wins on the mound. You keep the cheap prospects and spend $40 million a a free agent that can give another 3 wins and you are far ahead to pass on one star. There also is the risk with Stanton regarding his 29% K rate, we have seen how far south a guy can go with so much swing and miss in his game.

But who exactly do you spend all of this money you save on? Who is this $40 million free agent? If somebody like Relapse Hamilton were available for say 2 years $40 mil, I'd say absolutely. But those guys don't take $40 million deals.

The $40 million free agent is a SP, not a bat, someone like Edwin Jackson on a 3 year deal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm sure they will try for a deal like that....hopefully there's enough hope here that a free agent worth a damn will consider joining the Bucs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:32 pm 

So if the Marlins are looking to move Logan Morrison and Ricky Nolasco, is that something worth looking at? I don't see Stanton being in our price range but Morrison (24) and Nolasco (29) seems like moves the Pirates could make. Would then free up Jones to be traded for a catcher, maybe Toronto since they have a excess and may still be looking for an upgrade at 1b and/or DH.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

We have a "Morrison" already. His name is Travis Snider.

Taking shots on former big-time prospects whose stars are fading may be NH's specialty, but I'd say picking up an actual star would be a better idea. I'd give up a fair ransom for Stanton, and he would be a HUGE part of the Pirates' offense for the next 4 or 5 years. If it takes a bunch of big-time prospects? Fine! Build around Cole, Cutch, Stanton, Pedro, and Walker.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:32 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
We have a "Morrison" already. His name is Travis Snider.

Taking shots on former big-time prospects whose stars are fading may be NH's specialty, but I'd say picking up an actual star would be a better idea. I'd give up a fair ransom for Stanton, and he would be a HUGE part of the Pirates' offense for the next 4 or 5 years. If it takes a bunch of big-time prospects? Fine! Build around Cole, Cutch, Stanton, Pedro, and Walker.

Completely agree.

You have prospects so you can trade them for established stars.