Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:21 pm 

Jays and Marlins working on a blockbuster involving Reyes, Beurhle, Josh Johnson, Bonafacio, and Buck. If Jays acquire Buck they are definitely going to have to deal a catcher. This may be the Pirates chance to grab Arencibia(sp?) fairly cheap. I'd love for them to make a run at D'arnaud(again sp?), but I assume the Jays see him as their catcher moving forward...

To put it really nicely, the Marlins seem to lack direction!!

Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 pm 

The pirates biggest needs our C, SS, SP...any 3 of these needs could have been met with acquiring some of these guys from the marlins cheap...However it would have costed $$$ which is the only thing the organization gives 2 shits about. They aren't out to win, and their lack of initiative to make moves like this proves it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 pm 

Ryann wrote:
The pirates biggest needs our C, SS, SP...any 3 of these needs could have been met with acquiring some of these guys from the marlins cheap...However it would have costed $$$ which is the only thing the organization gives 2 shits about. They aren't out to win, and their lack of initiative to make moves like this proves it.

First of all, what does the Marlins being the biggest shysters of all time have to do with the Pirates being 'cheap'?

Secondly, it would have not only cost a boatload of money, but based on the players the Marlins are receiving in the deal, top prospects in the Cole/Taillon/Marte/Polanco mold.

Be reasonable. This trade says FAR more about the Marlins ownership than the Pirates.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Jays and Marlins working on a blockbuster involving Reyes, Beurhle, Josh Johnson, Bonafacio, and Buck. If Jays acquire Buck they are definitely going to have to deal a catcher. This may be the Pirates chance to grab Arencibia(sp?) fairly cheap. I'd love for them to make a run at D'arnaud(again sp?), but I assume the Jays see him as their catcher moving forward...

To put it really nicely, the Marlins seem to lack direction!!

The Marlins are a disgrace.

Good point about the Jays needing to move a C. Arencibia would be a heck of a nab!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:17 am 

Loria proves he's the biggest conman in professional sports. Get a new stadium, increase revenues, "spend" on the MLB team. Sounds great, then betray the fanbase by trading every player making money for a few decent prospects (no sure things), pocket the profits. Their current payroll is about $20 million. I don't understand why Selig would approve this deal (he hasn't yet).

Stanton will start making money next year, he will certainly be available soon.

This likely does indicate Arencibia is available. Some sources rate his defense very poorly, but others say its OK. We could do well with him and Fort as a pair. He can't cost very much in trade.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:18 am 

Ryann wrote:

Yeah all it costs was far more money than the Pirates have. How could NH not do this and bankrupt the franchise?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:30 am 

A scathing and accurate assessment -

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... w-reality/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 am 

Now acquire A-Rod from Yankees?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Given this development -- and I'm dead serious about this -- the Pirates should go after Giancarlo Stanton. He actually tweeted that he was "pissed off" about the trade and he may have turned against the club. If I'm Neal Huntington, I'm offering the Marlins a collection of any players not named Andrew McCutchen or Gerrit Cole for Stanton right now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:56 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I would trade Cole for Stanton. We're not talking about Hee-Sop Choi here.

I am actually stunned Miami got such a return on this salary dump. Only paying $4 mil in cash and getting actual prospects? Great haul for those conmen in Miami. Not that they are likely to do anything with it. Those contracts were so heavily backloaded that you have to figure they planned on this firesale.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Maybe Jameson Taillon, Starling Marte, Gregory Polanco, and Kyle McPherson could get it done. I'd prefer to keep Cutch and Cole, sign Walker long-term, sign Stanton long term, and build around Cutch/Cole/Walker/Stanton/Pedro. How would this lineup look?

LF Tabata
2B Walker (S)
CF Cutch
RF Stanton
3B Alvarez (L)
1B Jones (L) / Sanchez
C McKenry
SS Barmes / Mercer / d'Arnaud

That's a legitimate 1-6, particularly if Tabata can get on base.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:07 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Maybe Jameson Taillon, Starling Marte, Gregory Polanco, and Kyle McPherson could get it done. I'd prefer to keep Cutch and Cole, sign Walker long-term, sign Stanton long term, and build around Cutch/Cole/Walker/Stanton/Pedro. How would this lineup look?

LF Tabata
2B Walker (S)
CF Cutch
RF Stanton
3B Alvarez (L)
1B Jones (L) / Sanchez
C McKenry
SS Barmes / Mercer / d'Arnaud

That's a legitimate 1-6, particularly if Tabata can get on base.

Don't forget about the potential 20+ homer guy going into his 25 year old season in Snider.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

JollyRoger wrote:
Don't forget about the potential 20+ homer guy going into his 25 year old season in Snider.

One home run in 128 at-bats with the Bucs doesn't bode well, my friend. Tabata had three home runs in 333 at-bats, which is actually a better pace. I don't hate Snider, but I don't see him as anything better than a potential platoon player. He beats the ball into the ground with his swing, and I'm wondering if his swing change to create more contact has robbed him of his fly ball percentage...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 pm 

One home run every 111 at bats does not bode well either, my friend. Plus Tabata does not have the speed you would want out of your leadoff hitter. Nor the on base percentage.

It's all fantasy anyways. Stanton ain't coming here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:58 pm 

It just gets worse, borderline criminal. Remember when MLB forced the Marlins to spend more? -

"Between 2002 and 2010, the Marlins reportedly received close to $300 million in revenue sharing. With the threat of a formal grievance, the Players Association forced an agreement from the Marlins to use all revenue-sharing proceeds on player development and salaries for three seasons. The agreement was announced in January 2010 and now, three seasons later, has expired. Imagine that." - Wendy Thurm

So Loria plans it all out, spends precisely what he has to and gets a 70% public funded stadium and immediately eliminates his payroll as soon as he can without MLB intervention. Bud has to throw this guy out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:57 pm 

I like your line up JC except for Tabata. I'd put Marte in the first spot instead of Tabata who I've pretty much given up on. Also, SS is still a big ? in my book, although if the rest of the line up can deliver, Barmes can do his thing on defense and contribute once in awhile on offense.

The Pirates also need at least one more solid starting pitcher.

Unfortunately, like Ralphie said, I can't see Stanton coming to the Pittsburgh although it sure would be great to see him in a Pirate uniform!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Given this development -- and I'm dead serious about this -- the Pirates should go after Giancarlo Stanton. He actually tweeted that he was "pissed off" about the trade and he may have turned against the club. If I'm Neal Huntington, I'm offering the Marlins a collection of any players not named Andrew McCutchen or Gerrit Cole for Stanton right now.

Great idea.

No reason not to try.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:14 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Great idea.

No reason not to try.

The problem is that every team in baseball would want Stanton and his 4 years of team control. The price tag would be enormous, as JC suggested. LoMo would be more realistic and he does fit NH's love for former elite prospects that haven't broken through.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'd hate to have to cheer for a d-bag like Logan Morrison.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:34 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bassoondirector wrote:
I like your line up JC except for Tabata. I'd put Marte in the first spot instead of Tabata who I've pretty much given up on. Also, SS is still a big ? in my book, although if the rest of the line up can deliver, Barmes can do his thing on defense and contribute once in awhile on offense.

The Pirates also need at least one more solid starting pitcher.

Unfortunately, like Ralphie said, I can't see Stanton coming to the Pittsburgh although it sure would be great to see him in a Pirate uniform!

In his hypothetical, he traded Marte for Stanton.

Even if the pricetag on Stanton would be enormous, I'd still inquire. He'd completely change the team.