Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 1915
Jays and Marlins working on a blockbuster involving Reyes, Beurhle, Josh Johnson, Bonafacio, and Buck. If Jays acquire Buck they are definitely going to have to deal a catcher. This may be the Pirates chance to grab Arencibia(sp?) fairly cheap. I'd love for them to make a run at D'arnaud(again sp?), but I assume the Jays see him as their catcher moving forward...

To put it really nicely, the Marlins seem to lack direction!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2169
The pirates biggest needs our C, SS, SP...any 3 of these needs could have been met with acquiring some of these guys from the marlins cheap...However it would have costed $$$ which is the only thing the organization gives 2 shits about. They aren't out to win, and their lack of initiative to make moves like this proves it.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 4865
Ryann wrote:
The pirates biggest needs our C, SS, SP...any 3 of these needs could have been met with acquiring some of these guys from the marlins cheap...However it would have costed $$$ which is the only thing the organization gives 2 shits about. They aren't out to win, and their lack of initiative to make moves like this proves it.


First of all, what does the Marlins being the biggest shysters of all time have to do with the Pirates being 'cheap'?

Secondly, it would have not only cost a boatload of money, but based on the players the Marlins are receiving in the deal, top prospects in the Cole/Taillon/Marte/Polanco mold.

Be reasonable. This trade says FAR more about the Marlins ownership than the Pirates.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:49 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 4865
PirateParrot wrote:
Jays and Marlins working on a blockbuster involving Reyes, Beurhle, Josh Johnson, Bonafacio, and Buck. If Jays acquire Buck they are definitely going to have to deal a catcher. This may be the Pirates chance to grab Arencibia(sp?) fairly cheap. I'd love for them to make a run at D'arnaud(again sp?), but I assume the Jays see him as their catcher moving forward...

To put it really nicely, the Marlins seem to lack direction!!


The Marlins are a disgrace.

Good point about the Jays needing to move a C. Arencibia would be a heck of a nab!

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Loria proves he's the biggest conman in professional sports. Get a new stadium, increase revenues, "spend" on the MLB team. Sounds great, then betray the fanbase by trading every player making money for a few decent prospects (no sure things), pocket the profits. Their current payroll is about $20 million. I don't understand why Selig would approve this deal (he hasn't yet).

Stanton will start making money next year, he will certainly be available soon.

This likely does indicate Arencibia is available. Some sources rate his defense very poorly, but others say its OK. We could do well with him and Fort as a pair. He can't cost very much in trade.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Ryann wrote:
The pirates biggest needs our C, SS, SP...any 3 of these needs could have been met with acquiring some of these guys from the marlins cheap...However it would have costed $$$ which is the only thing the organization gives 2 shits about. They aren't out to win, and their lack of initiative to make moves like this proves it.


Yeah all it costs was far more money than the Pirates have. How could NH not do this and bankrupt the franchise?

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
A scathing and accurate assessment -

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... w-reality/

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 84
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fl
Now acquire A-Rod from Yankees?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4428
Location: Washington, DC
Given this development -- and I'm dead serious about this -- the Pirates should go after Giancarlo Stanton. He actually tweeted that he was "pissed off" about the trade and he may have turned against the club. If I'm Neal Huntington, I'm offering the Marlins a collection of any players not named Andrew McCutchen or Gerrit Cole for Stanton right now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1875
Location: Naples, FL
I would trade Cole for Stanton. We're not talking about Hee-Sop Choi here.

I am actually stunned Miami got such a return on this salary dump. Only paying $4 mil in cash and getting actual prospects? Great haul for those conmen in Miami. Not that they are likely to do anything with it. Those contracts were so heavily backloaded that you have to figure they planned on this firesale.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4428
Location: Washington, DC
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I would trade Cole for Stanton. We're not talking about Hee-Sop Choi here.


Maybe Jameson Taillon, Starling Marte, Gregory Polanco, and Kyle McPherson could get it done. I'd prefer to keep Cutch and Cole, sign Walker long-term, sign Stanton long term, and build around Cutch/Cole/Walker/Stanton/Pedro. How would this lineup look?

LF Tabata
2B Walker (S)
CF Cutch
RF Stanton
3B Alvarez (L)
1B Jones (L) / Sanchez
C McKenry
SS Barmes / Mercer / d'Arnaud

That's a legitimate 1-6, particularly if Tabata can get on base.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 760
Location: Rochester, New York
J_C_Steel wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I would trade Cole for Stanton. We're not talking about Hee-Sop Choi here.


Maybe Jameson Taillon, Starling Marte, Gregory Polanco, and Kyle McPherson could get it done. I'd prefer to keep Cutch and Cole, sign Walker long-term, sign Stanton long term, and build around Cutch/Cole/Walker/Stanton/Pedro. How would this lineup look?

LF Tabata
2B Walker (S)
CF Cutch
RF Stanton
3B Alvarez (L)
1B Jones (L) / Sanchez
C McKenry
SS Barmes / Mercer / d'Arnaud

That's a legitimate 1-6, particularly if Tabata can get on base.


Don't forget about the potential 20+ homer guy going into his 25 year old season in Snider.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4428
Location: Washington, DC
JollyRoger wrote:
Don't forget about the potential 20+ homer guy going into his 25 year old season in Snider.


One home run in 128 at-bats with the Bucs doesn't bode well, my friend. Tabata had three home runs in 333 at-bats, which is actually a better pace. I don't hate Snider, but I don't see him as anything better than a potential platoon player. He beats the ball into the ground with his swing, and I'm wondering if his swing change to create more contact has robbed him of his fly ball percentage...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3203
Location: Economy, PA
One home run every 111 at bats does not bode well either, my friend. Plus Tabata does not have the speed you would want out of your leadoff hitter. Nor the on base percentage.

It's all fantasy anyways. Stanton ain't coming here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
It just gets worse, borderline criminal. Remember when MLB forced the Marlins to spend more? -

"Between 2002 and 2010, the Marlins reportedly received close to $300 million in revenue sharing. With the threat of a formal grievance, the Players Association forced an agreement from the Marlins to use all revenue-sharing proceeds on player development and salaries for three seasons. The agreement was announced in January 2010 and now, three seasons later, has expired. Imagine that." - Wendy Thurm

So Loria plans it all out, spends precisely what he has to and gets a 70% public funded stadium and immediately eliminates his payroll as soon as he can without MLB intervention. Bud has to throw this guy out.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3187
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
I like your line up JC except for Tabata. I'd put Marte in the first spot instead of Tabata who I've pretty much given up on. Also, SS is still a big ? in my book, although if the rest of the line up can deliver, Barmes can do his thing on defense and contribute once in awhile on offense.

The Pirates also need at least one more solid starting pitcher.

Unfortunately, like Ralphie said, I can't see Stanton coming to the Pittsburgh although it sure would be great to see him in a Pirate uniform!

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 4865
J_C_Steel wrote:
Given this development -- and I'm dead serious about this -- the Pirates should go after Giancarlo Stanton. He actually tweeted that he was "pissed off" about the trade and he may have turned against the club. If I'm Neal Huntington, I'm offering the Marlins a collection of any players not named Andrew McCutchen or Gerrit Cole for Stanton right now.


Great idea.

No reason not to try.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
NSMaster56 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Given this development -- and I'm dead serious about this -- the Pirates should go after Giancarlo Stanton. He actually tweeted that he was "pissed off" about the trade and he may have turned against the club. If I'm Neal Huntington, I'm offering the Marlins a collection of any players not named Andrew McCutchen or Gerrit Cole for Stanton right now.


Great idea.

No reason not to try.


The problem is that every team in baseball would want Stanton and his 4 years of team control. The price tag would be enormous, as JC suggested. LoMo would be more realistic and he does fit NH's love for former elite prospects that haven't broken through.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1875
Location: Naples, FL
I'd hate to have to cheer for a d-bag like Logan Morrison.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Blue Jays/Marlins possible blockbuster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1875
Location: Naples, FL
bassoondirector wrote:
I like your line up JC except for Tabata. I'd put Marte in the first spot instead of Tabata who I've pretty much given up on. Also, SS is still a big ? in my book, although if the rest of the line up can deliver, Barmes can do his thing on defense and contribute once in awhile on offense.

The Pirates also need at least one more solid starting pitcher.

Unfortunately, like Ralphie said, I can't see Stanton coming to the Pittsburgh although it sure would be great to see him in a Pirate uniform!



In his hypothetical, he traded Marte for Stanton.


Even if the pricetag on Stanton would be enormous, I'd still inquire. He'd completely change the team.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits