Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hanrahan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:47 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
I really wish there was a way to break up Clint^2, make this Cozart deal and [all other things being constant] have Mercer and Harrison as the IF backups

I would be surprised of the Reds are willing to deal Cozart for a pending-FA-closer like Hanrahan, but hey, greater surprises have happened, I guess.

And I suspect that stats like a negative fielding WAR for somebody like Harrison can be adjusted by playing him in a defensive position that is less likely to be exploited (playing 3B with a R-handed, fly-ball pitcher, or 2B with a L-handed fly-ball pitcher, for example).

Post subject: Re: Hanrahan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:38 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
The GM meetings begin this evening and at least two teams (Cincy, Detroit) have openly said closer is on their wishlist. Add in the Mets, Marlins, Blue Jays, Twins, and A's s possible suitors. The FA alternatives are thin with Soriano expecting a huge payday and Madson/Soria fresh off TJ surgery. Brandon League just got 3 years and more than $21 million to maybe be the closer in LA. Now is the time to trade Hanrahan, the market will only decrease as the offseason progresses. Last year the early closer trades netted a 30HR corner OF and a solid everyday SS. Get something done NH.

I have always felt that when the Pirates are struggling to win 80 games a good to dominate closer is a luxury they can't afford.