Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hanrahan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:17 pm 

The GM meetings begin this evening and at least two teams (Cincy, Detroit) have openly said closer is on their wishlist. Add in the Mets, Marlins, Blue Jays, Twins, and A's s possible suitors. The FA alternatives are thin with Soriano expecting a huge payday and Madson/Soria fresh off TJ surgery. Brandon League just got 3 years and more than $21 million to maybe be the closer in LA. Now is the time to trade Hanrahan, the market will only decrease as the offseason progresses. Last year the early closer trades netted a 30HR corner OF and a solid everyday SS. Get something done NH.

Post subject: Re: Hanrahan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:22 pm 

I agree. Classic case of sell high. Should get a pretty good player or two. Texas may be a partner, too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:43 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Sell (for the right price). That cat scared the crap out of me last year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:09 pm 

I hope you guys are right. I worry that Hanrahan won't interest other teams to the level you are stating.

I know it is the smart thing to do baseball wise, but I will miss him if he goes...seems like a neat guy, plus my son's favorite player.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:08 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
I worry that Hanrahan won't interest other teams to the level you are stating.

Despite his control issues last year he still had 36 saves. There has to be some interest in a guy who has 76 saves over the past two years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:32 pm 

Tis is the time to move him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:37 am 

Come on NH get this (Cozart) done!

Reds GM Walt Jocketty tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that Cincinnati could move one of their young shortstops (Zack Cozart or Didi Gregorius) if such a deal could bring the Reds a closer or a leadoff-hitting outfielder.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#2hhJ11g4fuj5tFQY.99

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:39 am 

This too - The Blue Jays' waiver claim of Bobby Wilson as catching depth "suggests J.P. Arencibia is in play on the trade market," writes Sportsnet.ca's Shi Davidi.

Arencibia ain't great, but he's pretty good with the stick and not completely terrible with the glove. He can't be too pricey.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:41 am 

And there is this again -

With input from rival executives, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic lists the Rangers, Rays, Red Sox, Tigers and Braves as the top five possible suitors for Justin Upton, with the Pirates and Royals as darkhorse candidates.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:21 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
And there is this again -

With input from rival executives, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic lists the Rangers, Rays, Red Sox, Tigers and Braves as the top five possible suitors for Justin Upton, with the Pirates and Royals as darkhorse candidates.

Now that the Pirates have Snider, I think the chances of an Upton deal are almost zero. Cozart would be great though. I really wish there was a way to break up Clint^2, make this Cozart deal and [all other things being constant] have Mercer and Harrison as the IF backups

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:47 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
I really wish there was a way to break up Clint^2, make this Cozart deal and [all other things being constant] have Mercer and Harrison as the IF backups

I would be surprised of the Reds are willing to deal Cozart for a pending-FA-closer like Hanrahan, but hey, greater surprises have happened, I guess.

And I suspect that stats like a negative fielding WAR for somebody like Harrison can be adjusted by playing him in a defensive position that is less likely to be exploited (playing 3B with a R-handed, fly-ball pitcher, or 2B with a L-handed fly-ball pitcher, for example).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:38 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
The GM meetings begin this evening and at least two teams (Cincy, Detroit) have openly said closer is on their wishlist. Add in the Mets, Marlins, Blue Jays, Twins, and A's s possible suitors. The FA alternatives are thin with Soriano expecting a huge payday and Madson/Soria fresh off TJ surgery. Brandon League just got 3 years and more than $21 million to maybe be the closer in LA. Now is the time to trade Hanrahan, the market will only decrease as the offseason progresses. Last year the early closer trades netted a 30HR corner OF and a solid everyday SS. Get something done NH.

I have always felt that when the Pirates are struggling to win 80 games a good to dominate closer is a luxury they can't afford.