Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: espn.com article - 20 most depressing facts
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:02 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
NYC-Buc wrote:
I'm not saying that Moss, McLouth or Ciriaco had earned the right not to be released. All three failed miserably time after time in Pittsburgh, and I'm not faulting NH for letting them go. And its definitely true that many other (most other) castoffs continued their suckiness. Just noting that its another example of PBC being tragically snakebit.

It's NH's fault because the people who he hired to get the most out of his players have failed. Look at all the guys who sucked in Pittsburgh, but then suddenly found themselves in different organizations. Shows how bad the buccos coaching staff is. Who is a guy who struggled on another team mightly that the pirates actually turned around?! I can only think of 2 and that is Garret Jones and Hanrahan. They tried alot of projects to get young high potential guys turned around and they couldn't do anything with them, while other teams could.

What about Neil Walker, Pedro Alvarez, Jason Grilli, Jeff Karstens, and Evan Meek?

Meek you consider a success? He has had one single good season, and now after a years in this organization he has regressed. Grilli is fair enough although he was an ok reliever in the past. Karstens has been okay, but nothing like guys such as Jose Bautista.
Walker and Alvarez? Those are guys who have always been in this organization and were top of the draft talent. Really hard to screw up hitters with that much talent taken so high in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:04 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Meek you consider a success? He has had one single good season, and now after a years in this organization he has regressed. Grilli is fair enough although he was an ok reliever in the past. Karstens has been okay, but nothing like guys such as Jose Bautista.
Walker and Alvarez? Those are guys who have always been in this organization and were top of the draft talent. Really hard to screw up hitters with that much talent taken so high in the draft.

What about the eight other teams that cast off Bautista? I think someone made a point that its not just the Bucs. The case of Bautista though, I can't blame them. I mean are we really supposed to wait until players are 30 years old? He was given every opportunity to perform and failed repeatedly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:59 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'll be honest, the wounds are still too fresh for me. I started reading and stopped almost immediately. I'm still shell-shocked. I haven't even watched an inning of the playoffs. Ugh.

#15 Kansas State Wildcats (1-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (0-1)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 6, 2014
11:00 AM CST
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:30 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Ryann wrote:

What about the eight other teams that cast off Bautista? I think someone made a point that its not just the Bucs. The case of Bautista though, I can't blame them. I mean are we really supposed to wait until players are 30 years old? He was given every opportunity to perform and failed repeatedly.

He didn't play for 30 others teams? The coaching staff on the Pirates failed to get anything out of him...the next team he went to in the Blue Jays, their coaching staff did infact bring out the best in him. Pirates coaching staff has often failed to bring out the best in their players.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:51 am 

Ryann wrote:
rellimie wrote:
Ryann wrote:

He didn't play for 30 others teams? The coaching staff on the Pirates failed to get anything out of him...the next team he went to in the Blue Jays, their coaching staff did infact bring out the best in him. Pirates coaching staff has often failed to bring out the best in their players.

In fairness, the same is true for the Blue Jays coaching staff. See Colby Rasmus, Jeff Mathis and Brett Lawrie: all first round picks, all stars in the minors, all underwhelming in the majors. And then there's the curious case of Adam Lind.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:30 pm 

Ryann wrote:
rellimie wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Meek had 2 good seasons. His 2009 season was good also. He got injured and it looks like it killed his career. That cant be helped.

Bautista was a bench player for Toronto before he finally got it.

I brought Walker and Alvarez into the conversation because Walker was looking like he was only going to be a bench guy before management decided to plug him in at 2nd base and Alvarez because of him finally showing power after an awful 2011.

Karstens was cut and came back and has looked good when he is healthy.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:37 pm 

I can blame the Pirates for missing on Bautista.

We chose Andy LaRoche over Bautista. Within a couple of years, Bautista had become a homerun champion while Andy became a Walmart greeter.

Even if we wanted to give LaRoche a shot at third, we could have kept Bautista around for very little. Instead we traded him for a borderline player who also never amounted to anything.

The talent misjudgements from the Pirates are astounding, from the Cam Bonifay era on through to today.