Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Josh Hamilton
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:56 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Even discussing this is an exercise in futility, we arn't going to be handing out $100 million to anyone. Forget it, move on.

The only potential and incredibly unlikely scenario where Hamilton plays for the Pirates is:
1. His free agent demands, including length of contract and yearly average, are so outrageous that no team is willing to meet his demands.
2. Hamilton and his agent are thorougly convinced that he needs one more year of "monster" production and no aberrant behavior (i.e. drunken escapades at a local watering hole) to prove to MLB that he is worthy of a long-term mega deal. They shift their strategy to get the best one-year deal possible.
3. After letting it be known that he is willing to sign a one-year deal, the Pirates are willing to pay more than any of the other 28 teams (the Rangers are boxed out right?) for one year's worth of services.
4. The Pirates pony up a huge contract because it is only for one year and, if Hamilton produces as hoped but the Pirates aren't contending, they could likely move him at the trade deadline to a team who needs a bat.

I put the chances of all of those happening at about .000001%. I won't rule it out completely simply because I would have completely ruled out the Bucs finishing below .500 when they were sitting at 16 games above .500 with an incredibly favorable schedule to finish the year. I would have never anticipated that the Astros would have finished stronger than the Bucs. Never, never, never . . . (going back into depressive state)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:25 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
batterup wrote:
i just saw a pig fly in front of my house...

"Really, Clark?"

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:24 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
Yay or Nay?

I saw on MLB Trade Rumors that the Pirates could be a player in getting Hamilton.

So, who would want us to take a chance and that financial commitment?

I think I would. Put him in RF.

I have no interest in adding a player who has to be chaperoned by a guy who caries his money for him, lest he fall back into bad habits.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
These are the types of risks the Pirates need to do. Their past ways are epic failures. If they can only get one free agent...make it count. Every free agent is a risk. Do it.

Not every free agent can wreck the Pirates budget for years if he decides to go back on drugs. This is exactly the type of risk that would be suicidal for a team like the Pirates.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:58 pm 

aint gonna happen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:36 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:
These are the types of risks the Pirates need to do. Their past ways are epic failures. If they can only get one free agent...make it count. Every free agent is a risk. Do it.

Not every free agent can wreck the Pirates budget for years if he decides to go back on drugs. This is exactly the type of risk that would be suicidal for a team like the Pirates.

The risk of having at least 10% of your payroll be wasted due to a relapse is a great risk for any team. The teams in bigger markets can absorb the hit much easier but I can't even see an organization like the Yankees taking on that risk. Cashman is too smart for that.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes. My prediction is a team like LA or the Mets who have boatloads of money and tend to make high risk, high reward moves.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:44 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

The risk of having at least 10% of your payroll be wasted due to a relapse is a great risk for any team. The teams in bigger markets can absorb the hit much easier but I can't even see an organization like the Yankees taking on that risk. Cashman is too smart for that.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes. My prediction is a team like LA or the Mets who have boatloads of money and tend to make high risk, high reward moves.

The Mets are hemorrhaging money as a result of the Madoff scam. Don't expect them to be big players in the FA market.