Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An open apology to the people of this board
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:26 pm 

In the past, I may have disagreed with you. Regardless of what the topic at hand was, or whether or not my remarks came off as 'personal', intentional or otherwise, I apologize.

I say this because after just over 36 hours in the fair city of Champions for the first time ever, I finally begin to understand; the city, the fans, everything.

It's funny how you hear about Pittsburgh being 'this, that and the other' (working class, fiercely loyal [to a fault], etc.). But, much like my pit-stop in Edmonton a few years ago, those sayings lived up to the hype and then some. The authenticity of the city was palpable.

No fewer than four strangers talked ball with me, quite extensively. Aside from their congeniality, those people exuded promise. Talking to people, hearing them talk, walking down the city streets and seeing the majestic city view(s), I could sense the passion of Pittsburgh.

You are a proud city with a proud and loyal people. I get that now. Before those were just words and concepts; no longer.

As I hail from the more passive-aggressive, self-loathing, 'what have you done for me lately?' West Coast (especially the always mildly depressive state of WA) some of your past remakrs came off as whiny, front-running or otherwise misinterpreted. And again, I apologize for miscommunicating on my part. You are anything but those things.

It's clear to me now why you think and say the things you do. I may not fully understand, but I have a MUCH better idea.

Your city had won me over many moons ago, before I ever stepped foot in it, but now... now I can finally relate on some level with you true loyals and I truly envy you.

I look forward to a return, but, most importantly, I look forward to another Championship for your fine city. You all deserve it.

v/r

Post subject: Re: An open apology to the people of this board
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 pm 

Glad you had a good time here. Were you here on business or was it a vacation? What did you get to do here?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
As I hail from the more passive-aggressive, self-loathing, 'what have you done for me lately?' West Coast (especially the always mildly depressive state of WA) some of your past remakrs came off as whiny, front-running or otherwise misinterpreted. And again, I apologize for miscommunicating on my part. You are anything but those things.

Hey, hey...don't lump me in with you Western Washington Whackos...sunny Moses Lake has happy, shiny people! :D

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the Burgh. I miss home so much. It's been way too long since I've been there (over 5 years now). Definitely jones-ing for some Primanti's, Yuenling, Quaker Steak and Lube, Smiley Face Cookies and even a Sheetz sub.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:17 am 

Last year I worked from home, calling universities and businesses for verifications. I worked 40-50 hours per week for eleven months.

It was eye opening experience. People west of the Mississippi River and north of Chicago are just nicer. I mean A LOT nicer. The kindest friendliest people
are in Oregon and Minnesota. It was uncanny.. everyday I called people from thirty to forty states. People in eastern cities were rarely friendly and rarely
helpful. I worked for commission. I always knew that I would earn money with calls to western states and Minnesota.

I'm from Missouri and grew up in a rural area where everyone waves at you as you drive by. People in Ohio are OK but not nearly as good as people. LOL

With PA people.. they were polite but didn't open up until I asked if they were Pirates fans. Then many were happy to talk sports. With Oregon people..
they are just silly and happy and zany.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:12 am 

Ollie wrote:
Last year I worked from home, calling universities and businesses for verifications. I worked 40-50 hours per week for eleven months.

It was eye opening experience. People west of the Mississippi River and north of Chicago are just nicer. I mean A LOT nicer. The kindest friendliest people
are in Oregon and Minnesota. It was uncanny.. everyday I called people from thirty to forty states. People in eastern cities were rarely friendly and rarely
helpful. I worked for commission. I always knew that I would earn money with calls to western states and Minnesota.

I'm from Missouri and grew up in a rural area where everyone waves at you as you drive by. People in Ohio are OK but not nearly as good as people. LOL

With PA people.. they were polite but didn't open up until I asked if they were Pirates fans. Then many were happy to talk sports. With Oregon people..
they are just silly and happy and zany.

Thats just because people from Oregon have nothing better to do then sit and wait for telemarketers to call to chat with, when they aren't hunting for sasquatch :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Yuenling.

THIS.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:12 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
Glad you had a good time here. Were you here on business or was it a vacation? What did you get to do here?

Booked tickets when I thought they were going to hit/crack 81.

They still could have, if not for that unfortunate Cincy series...

However, the chance to see the city, applaud the fine effort by this squad and see Chipper Jones proved to be fulfilling enough.

I didn't get to see all of downtown, or the Warhol Museum or some of the other stuff which seemed intriguing (as the 3-hour time difference took its toll more than I anticipated), but I'll mosdef do those things next time.

Debating whether I should go to a game at Heinz or just bar hop or tailgate one time...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:16 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Booked tickets when I thought they were going to hit/crack 81.

They still could have, if not for that unfortunate Cincy series...

However, the chance to see the city, applaud the fine effort by this squad and see Chipper Jones proved to be fulfilling enough.

I didn't get to see all of downtown, or the Warhol Museum or some of the other stuff which seemed intriguing (as the 3-hour time difference took its toll more than I anticipated), but I'll mosdef do those things next time.

Debating whether I should go to a game at Heinz or just bar hop or tailgate one time...

I would recommend tailgating then going to a Steelers game at Heinz. My first game at Heinz Field was a monday night game vs. Tennessee.....I would recommend making your first game a night game. Although, I also really love going on a nice sunny october day where the trees outside the stadium and on mt. washington are changing color, and the sun makes all the yellow terrible towels glow....its a pretty amazing experience if you have never been.