Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Nice Easy to Follow WAR Breakdown
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 pm 

Courtesy of the Mike Trout vs. Miguel Cabrera raging MVP debate, BP published this -

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=18511

For those not aware, there is a old school vs new school firestorm over the AL MVP. Cabrera with his terrible defense and triple crown bat vs. Mike Trout who is superb in CF and has phenomenal all around numbers. Trout crushes Miggy in WAR (by more than 3 wins) so the SABR folks have there hair up about the possibility that Miggy could win.

Post subject: Re: A Nice Easy to Follow WAR Breakdown
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 pm 

Great debate between Miggy and Trout. The fact that Miggy could accomplish something that hasn't been done in 40 years and only been accomplished 16 times overall could trump Trout's outstanding year.

Interestingly, I hear a lot of people talk about Miggy being on a playoff team and not Trout; however the Angels are two games better than the Tigers.

Fair or not, it will come down to whether Miggy can pull off the Triple Crown. If he misses it, even by one HR or .001 in the batting race...Trout gets the MVP; otherwise, it's all Miggy.

On a side note, I embrace the idea and purpose of WAR, but don't think that it is the end-all-save-all statistically metric...for God's sake, it still says Clint Barmes is a better than average (WAR of 1.3!!!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:01 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Great debate between Miggy and Trout. The fact that Miggy could accomplish something that hasn't been done in 40 years and only been accomplished 16 times overall could trump Trout's outstanding year.

Interestingly, I hear a lot of people talk about Miggy being on a playoff team and not Trout; however the Angels are two games better than the Tigers.

Fair or not, it will come down to whether Miggy can pull off the Triple Crown. If he misses it, even by one HR or .001 in the batting race...Trout gets the MVP; otherwise, it's all Miggy.

On a side note, I embrace the idea and purpose of WAR, but don't think that it is the end-all-save-all statistically metric...for God's sake, it still says Clint Barmes is a better than average (WAR of 1.3!!!)

Better than replacement, not better than average. An average MLB starter is 2.0 WAR. That said fangraphs has him at 1.7 WAR based on his league 2nd best UZR.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:52 pm 

Thanks. Before reading that I understood the concept that it was supposed to be all measurements condensed into one number, but I didn't understand the concepts behind the calculations or even the true concept of what a replacement player is. Now I get it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:27 pm 

If I were voting, it would have to have something to do with paying one's dues. How do you give the MVP in one's rookie year? I know it's been done (Fernando Valenzuela), but I don't agree with it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:45 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
If I were voting, it would have to have something to do with paying one's dues. How do you give the MVP in one's rookie year? I know it's been done (Fernando Valenzuela), but I don't agree with it.

Please. The only dues MCab has paid were court-ordered.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:30 pm 

doug frobel wrote:

If Trout is the most valuable player in the league, then rookie or not, he should get the MVP award. "Dues" do not win baseball games. The only people that care about "paying one's dues" are the cartel of players who don't like young players getting recognized and compensated more than old players. You might know them as the MLBPA.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:40 pm 

Just have a fundemental problem with young whipper snappers receiving the top honors in an industry right off the bat. I mean, what does he do for an encor? Other than a WS, what's left to play for?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 pm 

Who says he has to do anything for an encore? The MVP is awarded for single-season achievement, not for a body of work.

Quibble all you like over traditional counting stats vs. sabremetrics, but when age-ism creeps into it, my bullshit detector goes off.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:04 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Courtesy of the Mike Trout vs. Miguel Cabrera raging MVP debate, BP published this -

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=18511

For those not aware, there is a old school vs new school firestorm over the AL MVP. Cabrera with his terrible defense and triple crown bat vs. Mike Trout who is superb in CF and has phenomenal all around numbers. Trout crushes Miggy in WAR (by more than 3 wins) so the SABR folks have there hair up about the possibility that Miggy could win.

I started reading Bill James over 30 years ago. I'm trying to make sense of statistics and soccer. But there is nothing funnier than preening SABR geeks with their knickers in a twist. For that reason alone, I hope Cabrera wins the MVP.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:32 pm 

And midway through tonight's game, Cabrera has two more hits, raising his average to .331, and has two more RBIs. Apparently, some people have thought that Cabrera should take a day of rest. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:45 am 

One more deep one should just about do it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:00 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
One more deep one should just about do it.

Yes, one more Deep One. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:36 am 

doug frobel wrote:
Just have a fundemental problem with young whipper snappers receiving the top honors in an industry right off the bat. I mean, what does he do for an encor? Other than a WS, what's left to play for?

Who cares what he does for an encore? What matters is what he has done this season. That's the criterion for which the MVP award is given.

Cabrera is not even the most valuable player on his own team. Why should he get the award?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:57 am 

Willton wrote:
Cabrera is not even the most valuable player on his own team. Why should he get the award?

Because the people who vote for these types of awards are "old school". Popularity over production. It's the same reason why Derek Jeter wins Gold Gloves.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:03 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Willton wrote:

Because the people who vote for these types of awards are "old school". Popularity over production. It's the same reason why Derek Jeter wins Gold Gloves.

I know that there is no justice in baseball, but if there was, Trout would win the AL MVP.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:32 am 

Willton wrote:
I know that there is no justice in baseball, but if there was, Trout would win the AL MVP.

True, but if you are going to lose out...losing to the first Triple Crown winner in 40 years probably is the only palatable way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:23 am 
 WWW  Profile

You know how much the old school types hate defense!