Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2014 MLB Draft Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:43 pm 

C Taylor Gushue from University of Florida in the 4th.

Switch hitter. Ranked just outside BA's Top 100 so maybe got decent value. Who knows. They haven't gone totally off the reservation yet, fortunately.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:44 pm 

Michael Suchy, RF from Florida Gulf Coast in the 5th. Big guy, results are behind body.

FWIW, Keith Law said in his chat that several clubs were really disappointed when the Pirates took Cole Tucker, which would corroborate the tweet from McDaniels that he wasn't likely to be there at 39. Law then mentioned he didn't like the Connor Joe pick but if it enables them to sign the 2 prep arms (who he likes) then it's a net positive on the 1st day.

So, looks like they need to sign Keller and Supek to justify things (although it seems like that's more related to Joe than Tucker after some tweets about industry reaction).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:08 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
None of his other tools particularly stand out, with Luplow being more of a solid all-around performer in an A.J. Pollock kind of way.

If the kid is close to an A.J. Pollock, I would be thrilled.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:28 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
FWIW, Keith Law said in his chat that several clubs were really disappointed when the Pirates took Cole Tucker, which would corroborate the tweet from McDaniels that he wasn't likely to be there at 39. Law then mentioned he didn't like the Connor Joe pick but if it enables them to sign the 2 prep arms (who he likes) then it's a net positive on the 1st day.

That's good to know re: Law's chat, thanks. Considering how seemingly high everyone seems to be on Keller and the type of money he's anticipated to ask for, the McDaniels tweet obviously made perfect sense. But I was legitimately curious about Tucker's reputation among other organizations, or if it was just a huge Pirates overslot after Huntington said they had been watching him for years, etc. Didn't really know whether or not to believe him when he said they were confident that he wouldn't be available at 39 if it was partly a money saving strategy for the prep pitchers later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:34 pm 

Tyler Eppler, 6'6" 220 lb RHP in Round 6. He's from Sam Houston State.

Nelson Jorge in Round 7. HS SS from Puerto Rico Baseball Academy.

Austin Coley, RHP from Belmont in Round 8. Had mono to start the year. Was up to low-mid 90's by the end of the season, decent curve, needs to develop a breaking pitch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:39 pm 

TheShark wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

That's good to know re: Law's chat, thanks. Considering how seemingly high everyone seems to be on Keller and the type of money he's anticipated to ask for, the McDaniels tweet obviously made perfect sense. But I was legitimately curious about Tucker's reputation among other organizations, or if it was just a huge Pirates overslot after Huntington said they had been watching him for years, etc. Didn't really know whether or not to believe him when he said they were confident that he wouldn't be available at 39 if it was partly a money saving strategy for the prep pitchers later.

Yeah the first McDaniel tweet about Tucker not being available around 39 piqued my interest, then Law saying the same thing in his chat pretty much confirmed it in my mind.

Also, I haven't heard a lot on Gatewood but was watching the pre-draft show this morning and they mentioned that Monte Harrison's agent floated out a very large bonus number for him using his Nebraska scholarship as leverage.

Sounds like they preferred to get a guy they couldn't get at 39, then 2 prep pitchers they wouldn't have been able to afford had they needed to come up with bonus pool money for Harrison.

At this point, any qualms I had with the Tucker pick are pretty much gone. Joe will be contingent on getting Keller and Supek to sign.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:53 pm 

I'm with SA on this one. Cole Tucker looks like the Pirates' under-the-radar but high potential selection. I read a couple of "anonymous scout" takes saying he could develop into a 70-level defender with 70-level speed and a 60-65 hit tool. That's a helluva ceiling. In the videos I've seen, he certainly looks incredibly smooth for a 6'3" kid.

I'm excited for him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:59 pm 

Maybe the signing bonus will allow Tucker to buy food. Holy crimony, the kid is skinny.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:00 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Maybe the signing bonus will allow Tucker to buy food. Holy crimony, the kid is skinny.

I'm not so sure he's 17 years old. He might be 12. In which case, he projects to be a 7'8" monster shortstop who devours worlds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:05 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I'm with SA on this one. Cole Tucker looks like the Pirates' under-the-radar but high potential selection. I read a couple of "anonymous scout" takes saying he could develop into a 70-level defender with 70-level speed and a 60-65 hit tool. That's a helluva ceiling. In the videos I've seen, he certainly looks incredibly smooth for a 6'3" kid.

I'm excited for him.

The pick has grown on me, too.

I still really dislike the Connor Joe pick, although in the situation they were in, I do understand the need to save a little in order to get Keller signed (who might end up being the steal of the draft, I've heard). My main annoyance, as I've stated, is that Joe is going to provide no defensive value since he was already penciled in as a corner OF last night. Most seem pessimistic about how his bat projects. Not jumping to conclusions, we'll see, but there's not a lot to get excited about there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:22 pm 

They DID announce JaCoby Jones as an OF last year, only to have him at SS this year.

I'd agree that the Joe pick is different and dependent on where he plays, but I don't know for sure that he will wind up away from C. I think there's a good chance he does, but they didn't stick with Jones as OF last year so maybe they'll do the same with Joe. One can hope.

They picked a C and RHP to wind things up. Should be good for bonus pool purposes, Keller wants well into 7 figures apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:35 pm 

Specific Law response, citing what he was told. He can be annoying, but he is pretty decent with his connections and scoops on players:

Klaw can you tell me what the Pirates were thinking with their first two picks? Do their scouts use a different system evaulate players than the rest of the industry?

Klaw (1:09 PM)
After they took Tucker I heard from a couple of other clubs that were disappointed because they'd hoped to grab him shortly after that selection. Apparently he was a favorite of a few clubs. I didn't like the Joe selection at all - he can't catch and was probably a 5th rounder or later - but then they took two very good high school arms, so as long as the net of the four picks was positive, I don't think any Pirates fan should be upset.

So, it sounds like this front office wasn't the only one infatuated with him. Not saying he was top of their board, signability very well might have played a factor, but I think he was probably a bit more well regarded among front offices than he was with the outside evaluators.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:24 pm 

Pirates kick off Day 2 with Gage Hinsz, a 6'4" 210 lb righty from Billings HS in Montana. Mid-to-low 90's fastball. Ranked 188th by BA. Looks to be an overslot guy with their savings from yesterday's college picks, he's committed to Oregon State.

Will post any other interesting guys they take (like him).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:37 pm 

Can the Pirates please draft at least ONE high-upside LHP? Still waiting on one in this draft, and there are a few overslot lefties remaining...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:27 pm 

Pirates take Eric Dorsch, RHP from Kent State in the 15th round. Ranked 443rd by BA, he's originally from Gibsonia, PA.

Sam Street is 16th round pick, RHP from UT-Pan Am. He's ranked 485 by BA, and is from The Woodlands, TX where Jameson Taillon played his HS ball.

John Sever in 20th round. 6'5" 190 lb LHP from Bethune-Cookman.

Eric Thomas, Jr. is the pick in the 21st round. They announced him as a CF. Plays HS ball in Houston, TX and ranked 283rd by Baseball America.

Zach Warren, 6'4" HS LHP from Jersey in the 23rd.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:17 pm 

Since you're watching SA...

Has Parks Fenway been taken by the BoSox yet?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:47 pm 

Still on the board, along with Handsome Monica on the "All-Name Team".

Pirates taking org guys at this point. Padres took Johnny Manziel in the 28th, as perspective on how teams feel at this point.

Brewers and Monte Harrison agree on $1.8MM deal, $700K over slot.

Brendan McKay goes to San Diego in the 34th round. Considered unsignable once he dropped to the 3rd day.

Draft is over. A couple of interesting pitchers, then a HS 3B are really the only semi-notable selections. And, of course, signability is a question at this point (e.g. a BA Top 200 fell to the Bucs in the 34th round so, much like McKay, might be viewed as unsignable but they took a flier).

Last edited by StarlingArcher on Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:39 pm 

Brewers sign Gatewood for $1.83MM, $500K over slot value.

Combined $3.63MM to Gatewood and Harrison, will need to find $1.2MM+ from their pool. Can see why people are divided on their draft.

Pirates would've needed to come up with between $400-500K if they used their first 2 picks on them, for those curious. Both would've signed for about $100K under slot at pick 24. Definitely do-able but would've taken them off Tucker, Keller, and Supak so there could probably be solid debate about that trio vs the Brewers' (admittedly I don't like Medeiros because the bullpen gets brought up frequently in writeups).

Looking at the pools, the slotting system really sucks for teams picking low. For instance, in round 2 the Pirates' pick is worth about $300K less than the Brewers. The Pirates would be starting at $1.1MM with Keller in the Brewers' spot. Really forces you to pick lesser players in order to gain some money back, or take lesser players over slot who you won't need to pick 3 college seniors to sign.

That said, it is what it is. I understand why they're doing it like this, but for franchises whose only source of truly competing is the draft, it's tough to need to make concessions when it comes to taking both quality and quantity. Guess it's the first time noticing this because it's probably the first time we've seen the Pirates face constraints with their allotted bonus pool.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:41 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Zach Warren, 6'4" HS LHP from Jersey in the 23rd.

Is this kid any good? Tough sign?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:54 am 

Here's what Tim Williams had to say about Warren:

Zach Warren – He’s a lefty who works in the mid-to-upper 80s, and has some room to add velocity. Once again, this is an area where the Pirates have had success, and if they can have that success with a lefty, it would be even better.

If the Pirates sign him, add him to J_C_Steel's "Grow Our Own Lefty Ace" stable, which is still disappointingly thin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next