Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Countdown 2013 version
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:40 pm 

The Pirates have 51 series scheduled for the 2013 season. 36 are 3 game series. 13 are 4 game series. 2 are 2 game sets.

I'm a big proponent of approaching each series as a new beginning. If the Bucs win 21 of the 3 game series, lose 15 of those series, split the other 15 and have an equal number of sweeps/getting swept, they will win 85 games and lose 77 games. As of 4/1/13, I'd consider that to be a successful season.

So . . . here we go . . . Countdown 2013:

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Chicago Cubs - Home - (0-0)
Pirates Current Record: 0-0
Number of series in 2013: 51
Series won: 0
Series swept: 0
Series lost: 0
Series in which they've been swept: 0
Series split: 0
Series played: 0
Home series played: 0
Home series won: 0
Home series lost: 0
Road series played:0
Road series won: 0
Road series lost: 0
Overall series record: 0-0
Series remaining: 51

Let's go Bucs!

Last edited by No. 9 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Countdown 2013 version
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:59 pm 

Yesterday's game left a really bitter taste in my mouth. Wasting James McDonald's strong effort. Not scoring the tieing run from 3rd with no outs in the 9th inning. Losing a home series. Losing a home series to a team that the Pirates need to beat in order to have a successful season. An utter lack of offense against Travis Wood.

I'll post later on my thoughts regarding the 9th inning plate appearances by Martin, Sanchez, Alvarez and Walker. But . . . for now . . . one series down. Fifty to go. Given the aptly noted "gauntlet" facing this team over the next 29 games, let's hope that the bats get going and fast.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Los Angeles Dodgers - Away - (1-2)
Pirates Current Record: 1-2
Series lost: 1
Series in which they've been swept: 0
Series played: 1
Home series played: 1
Home series lost: 1
Road series played:0
Road series lost: 0
Overall series record: 0-1
Series remaining: 50

Last edited by No. 9 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:10 pm 

Well . . . off to the next series . . . from an offensive standpoint, things can't get worse, can they? Go get two of three and enjoy the day off on Thursday. No need to look ahead to the Reds. One series at a time. Get to Pittsburgh no worse than 3-6.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Arizona Diamondbacks - Away - (5-1)
Pirates Current Record: 1-5
Series lost: 2
Series in which they've been swept: 1
Series played: 2
Road series played:1
Road series lost: 1
Overall series record: 0-2
Series remaining: 49

Last edited by No. 9 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 am 

Would have been nice to respond with a sweep after being swept but . . . alas . . . it was not in the cards. Here's hoping that the Bucs get their first home series win against the Reds. Friday's game appears to be integral. Of the 3 games, tonight's matchup of Burnett v Leake is the only favorable pitching matchup for the Bucs. Not an easy homestand . . .

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Cincinnati Reds - Home - (5-5)
Pirates Current Record: 3-6
Series won: 1
Series played: 3
Road series played: 2
Road series won: 1
Overall series record: 1-2
Series remaining: 48

Last edited by No. 9 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:34 am 
 WWW  Profile

I would have been thrilled if you would have told me on Monday that the Bucs would take 2 of 3 from the DBacks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:41 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I would have been thrilled if you would have told me on Monday that the Bucs would take 2 of 3 from the DBacks.

Same here, I'm good with that series.

And the Reds don't appear to be hitting on all cylinders yet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:17 pm 

Didn't see that coming. Not even close. Can't stress enough how nice it was to only see Aroldis Chapman in a "getting work" appearance in the 9th inning today. Great sweep of the overwhelming NL Central favorites and a team that played a big role in setting the Bucs into their tailspin last year. Anyone for taking two of three from the Cardinals this week? McDonald and Burnett will take the bump . . . .

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" St. Louis Cardinals - Home - (7-5)
Pirates Current Record: 6-6
Series won: 2
Series swept: 1
Series played: 4
Home series played: 2
Home series won: 1
Overall series record: 2-2
Series remaining: 47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:23 am 

Watching JMac's implosion on Monday, I likely would've been thrilled if someone told me that Tuesday's game with Sanchez slated to go would be rained out and Burnett would dominate the Cardinals on Wednesday. However, given that the Bucs were up 4-2 and that it would have been an "Our bullpen" v. "Their bullpen" battle after the rain delay, I'd certainly take the Bucs in that match-up. Oh well, thanks to Mother Nature and Burnett, the bullpen is well-rested heading into what will be the toughest challenge so far this year. The Braves are smoking hot and will not have to face Burnett. At least Rodriguez is back . . .
I don't like conceding anything but, realistically, I'm hoping that the Bucs can figure out a way to split this series and head to the City of Brotherly Love at 9-9.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Atlanta Braves - Home - (12-2)
Pirates Current Record: 7-7
Series won: 2
Series split: 1
Series played: 5
Home series played: 3
Home series won: 1
Home series split: 1
Road series split: 0
Overall series record: 2-2-1
Series remaining: 46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:16 am 

To quote Mel Allen . . . "How about THAT?" 7-2 homestand against the Reds, Cardinals and Braves. 7-2. 7-2! Talk about a team that should be brimming with confidence heading into a lengthy road trip. Phillies are an aging group from an offensive standpoint but their pitching is still formidable. I'm looking for Burnett to set the tone for the road trip tonight. I'd love to see three wins but would not be disappointed with a split.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Philadelphia Phillies - Away - (8-11)
Pirates Current Record: 10-8
Series won: 3
Series played: 6
Home series played: 4
Home series won: 2
Overall series record: 3-2-1
Series remaining: 45

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:04 am 

No. 9 wrote:
To quote Mel Allen . . . "How about THAT?" 7-2 homestand against the Reds, Cardinals and Braves. 7-2. 7-2! Talk about a team that should be brimming with confidence heading into a lengthy road trip. Phillies are an aging group from an offensive standpoint but their pitching is still formidable. I'm looking for Burnett to set the tone for the road trip tonight. I'd love to see three wins but would not be disappointed with a split.

Unless we're playing Houston or the Cubbies, I'm never disappointed with a split. Win two of three every time and we're in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:05 am 

No. 9 wrote:

If the bullpen still has pitchers with functioning arms by July, the Pirates might be able to keep a decent pace. But that ain't happenin' if the starters keep going 3, 4, or 5 innings per start.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:43 pm 

After Monday's loss to the rookie starter, a split wasn't looking good. Even after last night's game, I still would have taken a split and not been too disappointed. But . . . holy cow . . . two straight comeback wins and the Bucs win 3 of 4 against the Phillies on the road. With Hamels, Halladay and Lee starting each of the games won by the Bucs. What to say other than - "Happy Flight!" On to St. Louis. The best baseball town in the U.S. and a hot Cardinals team coming off a sweep of a team that some predicted to be in the World Series. Sanchez/Gomez, Burnett and Locke take the bump. I'm hoping for two wins but, realistically, won't be disappointed with a 1-2 trip to play the Cardinals. Put the Arch in the rear view mirror with a 14-11 record? Yeah, I'd take that.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" St. Louis Cardinals - Away - (13-8)
Pirates Current Record: 13-9
Series won: 4
Series played: 7
Road series played: 3
Road series won: 2
Overall series record: 4-2-1
Series remaining: 44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:13 am 

Lose the first game. Win the remaining games in the series. Today's victory over the Redbirds not only earned another series win for the Pirates but it also was the fourth straight series where the opponent won game #1 in the series and the Pirates won the remaining games (St. Louis, Atlanta, Philadelphia and St. Louis). Today's win not only assured the Pirates of a "non-losing" 10 game/3 opponent road trip but also guaranteed that the Pirates would win more series than they would lose during the road trip. I was tempted to write about which Brewers team the Pirates would be facing - the one which started the season horrifically and just lost 2 of 3 to the Dodgers or the one which recently won 9 in a row? Then, I remembered . . . its the Brewers and they seem to have the Pirates' number no matter how they are playing. With Snider and Walker ailing and an awfully thin bench, the next 3 games in Miller Park are going to be very interesting. Very interesting. Because I'm superstitious, I'm going to take the same approach . . . get out of "The Good Land" (that's for you Wayne's World fans) with one win out of three and head back to Pittsburgh for a day of much-needed and well-deserved rest sporting a 16-12 record. Of course, if the Bucs want to exorcise a few demons over the next three days . . . you won't find me complaining.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Milwaukee Brewers - Away - (12-11)
Pirates Current Record: 15-10
Series won: 5
Series played: 8
Road series played: 4
Road series won: 3
Overall series record: 5-2-1
Series remaining: 43

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:47 am 

I'm enjoying this thread a lot, Matt. Of course, it is kind of how I look at a season, since every other sport that I like has much much shorter seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 am 

I like it as well. Of course any look at the Bucs right now would be fun. They are starting off this year with a bang. Starting pitching is the question mark again but it does look like more arms are about to come with Cole still developing for later.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:01 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Lose the first game. Win the remaining games in the series. Today's victory over the Redbirds not only earned another series win for the Pirates but it also was the fourth straight series where the opponent won game #1 in the series and the Pirates won the remaining games (St. Louis, Atlanta, Philadelphia and St. Louis). Today's win not only assured the Pirates of a "non-losing" 10 game/3 opponent road trip but also guaranteed that the Pirates would win more series than they would lose during the road trip. I was tempted to write about which Brewers team the Pirates would be facing - the one which started the season horrifically and just lost 2 of 3 to the Dodgers or the one which recently won 9 in a row? Then, I remembered . . . its the Brewers and they seem to have the Pirates' number no matter how they are playing. With Snider and Walker ailing and an awfully thin bench, the next 3 games in Miller Park are going to be very interesting. Very interesting. Because I'm superstitious, I'm going to take the same approach . . . get out of "The Good Land" (that's for you Wayne's World fans) with one win out of three and head back to Pittsburgh for a day of much-needed and well-deserved rest sporting a 16-12 record. Of course, if the Bucs want to exorcise a few demons over the next three days . . . you won't find me complaining.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Milwaukee Brewers - Away - (12-11)
Pirates Current Record: 15-10
Series played: 8
Road series played: 4
Overall series record: 5-2-1
Series remaining: 43

Am I wrong or did we also track how this year compares to last year when we did this in 2012? At any rate, we were 11-14 after 25 games in 2012.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:01 pm 

Ok . . . now that I can breathe again . . . it may have been ugly but the Bucs figured out a way to avoid a sweep in the House that Roids Built. As I put in my previous post, I would accept a 6-4 road trip, a 2-1 series road-trip and a record of 16-12 heading back to PNC for a three game set with the Nationals with rest days sandwiched on either end of the series. I think that my heart is going to need tomorrow's day off to recover from the ridiculous roller coaster over the past 18 hours of baseball. A little home cooking is what this team needs and we can all take solace in the fact that the Brewers series is likely the last that we see of both Jonathan Sanchez and Jeanmar Gomez. The pitching staff will be taking on a much different look in the next 10 days and it should be a welcome change of appearance. Get Walker healthy. Get Snider healthy. Figure out a way for Cutch and Alvarez to get hot together and the Bucs should be in line for a day off in Monday after taking 2 of 3 against the Nats and sporting a 18-13 record.

I'm going to only do comparisons to 2012 after the end of a series which comes closest to closing out a month.
In 2012, through 28 games, the Bucs were 12-16 and had played 10 series. Their series record was 3-5-1. They been swept once (in L.A.).

2013 resulted in those records completely flip-flopped. Not a bad start. Particularly when one considers the competition.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Washington Nationals - Home - (13-14)
Pirates Current Record: 16-12
Series lost: 3
Series played: 9
Road series played: 5
Road series lost: 2
Overall series record: 5-3-1
Series remaining: 42

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:14 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
House that Roids Built

I'm stealing that.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:46 pm 

The conclusion of the Nationals series left me with the same feeling that I had at the conclusion of the Cubs series to open the season. Chances abound to win all three games but walks, errors, poor physical execution and mental errors led to immensely frustrating losses in the last two games of the series. I'm not sure what was more frustrating . . . watching the Buc pitchers give bases away yesterday or Martin and McHenry K with less than two outs and the bases juiced today with Gio Gonzalez hanging by a thread. I guess it really doesn't matter. Both games were disappointing and I can't help but feel as though the Bucs blew great opportunities to take a home series agaisnt a quality opponent. I can very easily conclude that getting Tabata back, Walker back and Snider up to full speed should inject some more life into the offense.

On to the first interleague games of the year. Aaron Harang and King Felix will throw for the M's. Taking the first game would be huge. MickieD should be well rested and will hopefully bring his "A" game from the start. Wednesday's Burnett v. King Felix is a game that I cannot wait to watch. At this juncture, Bucs really need to get no worse than a split.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" Seattle Mariners - Home - (15-18)
Pirates Current Record: 17-14
Series lost: 4
Series played: 10
Home series played: 5
Home series lost: 2
Road series played: 5
Road series lost: 2
Overall series record: 5-4-1
Series remaining: 41

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:09 pm 

The lack of offense today against King Felix is not particularly surprising. Its simply a shame to waste Burnett's fine outing. Last night's win was probably the "emptiest" win that I've had in a while. Little production against Harang - a struggling pitcher. I take no solace in Gomez's performance. Seattle's lineup is not particularly daunting. But . . . in an effort to take the "glass half full" approach to the 2 game set, Walker was out, Martin was out, Gomez was an emergency starter and King Felix was set to take the mound in Game 2. Given that a key 25% of the lineup is injured, I suppose taking a split is not particularly unpleasant. Tough luck drawing King Felix. Tougher luck to draw him with a hodge-podge makeshift lineup.

So . . . the Mets. For four games. In New York. Harvey v. Gomez on Sunday. I'm going to pencil that one in for the Bronx Bombers' Little Sisters. That leaves three games. The pitching match-ups look decent but the Bucs' lineup remains an issue. I'd love to claim in advance that the Bucs will take three of four but . . . I'm going to push for a road split. If Kdro was in an "up" period of his bipolar existence and the Bucs could run Walker and Martin out there, I'd be looking for three of four. Instead, Kdro is struggling, who knows if Martin will play and Mercer can't match Walker's production. My mantra is "tread water" until the regulars are back.

Get back to PNC for a little revenge on the hated Brewers with a 20-17 record. I'm hoping for 21-16 but I'll take 20-17 under the circumstances. Taking the first game would be an excellent sign . . .

Edit . . . still hurts to have a losing (2-3) homestand.

2013 Pittsburgh Pirates
Series "on deck:" New York Mets - Away - (13-16 pending current game with White Sox)
Pirates Current Record: 18-15
Series lost: 4
Series split: 2
Series played: 11
Home series played: 6
Home series lost: 2
Home series split: 2